We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

using uk appliances in dom rep?

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
using uk appliances in dom rep?

just a quick question.. i know we have to take a travel adaptor with us to use the plugs

but does anybody know if any of these will work over there:- phone charger, digital camera charger, ipod and hair straightners and nintendo ds??

or do we need to by a converter? or leave it all be hind

any help is appreciated

Cabarete, Dominican...
Level Contributor
779 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: using uk appliances in dom rep?

UK chargers don't work very well here - my Mum always has a problem when she visits with camera charges and the like as we are on 110volts as opposed to UK 220volts. If you can get a cheap transformer, that would be good, but I think that they are expensive - no?

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
42,075 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: using uk appliances in dom rep?

tweety,

You could also get a power convertor see this link.

www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx…

Angie.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: using uk appliances in dom rep?

Don't know about hair straighteners. In fact, I don't think I'd recognise hair straighteners if I was to trip over them. But for the rest of the stuff, there shouldn't be a problem. Battery/phone charging simply takes a lot longer. I always have a laptop and two cameras, as well as an iPod & a phone with me. All of them work fine at 110v.

What I do take with me is a spike protector. Voltage in DR fluctuates wildly, so it's worth protecting your kit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: using uk appliances in dom rep?

All of our things were fine:Phone charger, camera charger, psp charger, ipod charger.

Apart from my GHD'S....gutted!...They did not work in our room or our friend next door, however the couple that we met, said that hers worked fine, so no idea why mine did not work??

Still planning to take my GHD's just incase this year!!

Cat.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: using uk appliances in dom rep?

cheers for all your help.. im sure i will decide what to do.. as only got three weeks until i go.. whoop whoop

Newton-Le-Willows...
Level Contributor
451 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: using uk appliances in dom rep?

Hi,

Most modern charges are 100 to 240V input ( it will say on them). UK straightners are 240V so will still warm but will take twice the current and may trip out the elec.

Have fun

Jules n Nige

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: using uk appliances in dom rep?

we got a travel adaptor from asda, only a couple of pounds, make sure it is the u.s. one not European ones, all our stuff that you mentioned worked ok but don't think the hair straighteners do but really no need for them as the humidity is going to make your hair frizz anyway. if you must take some the airport now do mini ones that will have a voltage changer on them. bg

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: using uk appliances in dom rep?

Hello,

May be worth buying some dual voltage travel straighteners.

Watford, UK
Level Contributor
995 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: using uk appliances in dom rep?

Only the new version GHD's will work so the VI version. Any older will not work

I bought a cheap pair of woldwide dual voltage and they worked fine, will leave the GHD's at home this time.

Everything else charged fine and we did not bring an adapter, we just brough two sets of batteries for the camera so we always had a set charging while using the other

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: using uk appliances in dom rep?

Where did you get your world wide duel voltage ones, and are they any good????.

With regards to the GHD's guess thats why mine did not work last year, ive had them 2 years, was gutted to say the least, will the new GHD's deffinatly work?....my GHD's have wortked in Cuba and Egypt since ive had them, why not in Dominican??

Cat

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa