We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the "Rainy" Season?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,660 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What is the "Rainy" Season?

Good evening from a beautiful moonlit Punta Cana evening.

Many times I am asked about the rainy season....a myth of huge proportion.

One would believe that certain months of the year ore nothing more than 30 out of 31 days of cloud filled skies and constant rainfall.

Fact is...the sun shines about the same amount monthly. What changes is the intensity of the showers in between...often lasting less than 30 minutes in duration.

In the months of november through April, the air is generally drier and influenced by northerly weather systems...just like most of you back home in North America and Europe.

From May through October, we are influenced by warmer and moist air from the tropics. During these months the rainfall is mor intense, within the same short period of time, thus leading to greater rainfall amounts in a given period...think if it as having a diffuser on your hose during the winter...and an open hose during the summer...the open hose will expel more water in the same given period.

So, in summary, summer months ( rainy season) are just as sunny as winter months( the dry season). What matters is the amount of precip in the same given period of time.

Cheers

PuntaCana Mike

Sterling Heights...
Level Contributor
422 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the "Rainy" Season?

Mike well put! We arrive on sunday and Im not worried about the rain I'll just be happy beening there! To bad everyone just cant get on the plane and not worry about the RAIN! They should be here in Michigan it snowed twice this week and its April!!!!

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the "Rainy" Season?

Hi Mike

Your contributions to these forums over the years I have been coming to Dom Rep have added greatly to my knowledge of this Beautiful country and its Fantastic people.

I sometimes go on weather underground to have a look at the weather charts and their little pictures of big grey rain clouds make it look as though the day will be spoilt - actually they are often recording a `chance of rain` which in fact would mean (if I was there - ooooooooohhhhh not for 6 long weeks) there may be times whan laid on the beach I would have to sometimes put my hand over my drink to stop it being diluted. Very few days does it rain for log periods.

We tend to associate rain clouds with our own weather and here they mean cold winds off the north sea and wearing lots of layers to keep warm! I live near a beautiful 6 mile stretch of beach and can watch the ships going into the Tees - but many days of the year cannot even get my dogs out in the rain - they refuse - its too cold for them. In Dom Rep its a warm rain and no comparison!

Talking to people about the Dom rep and reading the questios they pose on these forums it seems a lot of them do not realsie what a fantastic destination it is the WHOLE YEAR ROUND!

Keep up the good reporting Mike - you are a gem!

Jean x

UK
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the "Rainy" Season?

Mike

Thanks for that post - that has really settled my fears for our trip in May

Cheers

Lee

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the "Rainy" Season?

Good post Mike.....Thats why we like to go in late October.

Marlboro, MA
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the "Rainy" Season?

Slightly off topic, but had to take the opportunity.... PC Mike - It was a pleasure to meet you on April Fools Day, what fun we had at Steve's! Thanks for all your hard work, the children of the DR really look like they could use all the help they can get. Keep up the good work! We are looking forward to our next meeting at Steve's (still TBD) but hopefully it wont be too long before we return. Just sad I did not get a chance to meet Mike Fisher, I hope he is enjoying his new boat! Thanks again!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the "Rainy" Season?

Thanks Mike !

Here are the averages chart furnished by the Weather Channel regarding historical temps and percipitation

Farenheit:

weather.com/outlook/…

Metric:

weather.com/outlook/…

Peace!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the "Rainy" Season?

Obviously, the different charts would not post. When navigating the site just click on either English ( strange English ? instead of Farenehit or inches??) or metric. Apparently, the Weather Channel associates Farenheit and inches with the English language; instead of the USA or we have a NEW language; Metric. Must be the island nation of Metricia !!! LOL !!

Farenheit:

weather.com/outlook/…

Peace!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the "Rainy" Season?

Iteresting phenomena. When I go back into the links I posted ; whatever link I had visited last either it being Farenheit (English) or metric only the last time visited shows. I assume the cookies left automatically brings me back to the last version I visited.

Sooooo, the site has to be navigated "manually" ; clicking on either English or metric.

Peace!

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the "Rainy" Season?

Thanx Singer

Great link. Weather info makes a lot more sense then some sites I have looked at.

Regards Jean

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the "Rainy" Season?

You're welcome !

Peace!!