We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can you really blame the resort for theft of this type?

BC
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
can you really blame the resort for theft of this type?

Reading the latest review of the MC, the people left their clothing out of the patio of their FIRST floor room, and were mortified that it was not their in the morning. Complained to the front desk, and expected a free upgrade or some other sort of compensation.

Are you kidding me? When I saw the title, I thought to mylelf "oh no, someone stole OUT OF THEIR ROOM"

Silly me, people should definitely leave their belongings out on the first floor patio and expect them to be there the next day. And you should definitely fault the resort and assume it was their staff who took the items. Seriously, what a joke.

Ontario, New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can you really blame the resort for theft of this type?

I agree! Unfortunately, you shouldn't leave anything worth anything to you out on your patio. It's sad that's how it has to be - but it is! That review pretty much was worthless. Will be a the MC in 6 days!

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can you really blame the resort for theft of this type?

I agree completelly.

You'd be surprised how many of these thefs are committed by other guests, so the best thing is to keep your belingings aways from others' reach.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
545 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can you really blame the resort for theft of this type?

Reminds me...we personally witnessed a hotel guest (male) steal a pair of men's shorts from another guests groundlevel terrace.

He & his wife walked right past us laughing...he said the airline had lost his luggage and the hotel was trying to track it down...but in the meantime,"ha ha ha...this guy won't miss 1 pair of shorts!"

We were 'dumbfounded' but I never leave anything outside to dry except when I'm in my room.

BC
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: can you really blame the resort for theft of this type?

I just don't understand how anyone would consider that the resorts' responbsibility. Theft sucks, and its wrong no matter where or by who - BUT, we all know it happens so it is up to us to take precautions. I am all for honest reviews, good and bad, but come on - that doesn't tell me anything about the resort.

canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can you really blame the resort for theft of this type?

I would never leave anything on a ground floor terrace - you're asking for trouble. I just think they were frustrated that the management showed no sympathy at all - a bottle of champagne probably would have appeased them a little.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
857 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can you really blame the resort for theft of this type?

Reason #1 why I requested a 2nd floor room at the IBB. I was able to illimate the possiblity of somebody walking in the patio doors of my room (anytime, whether I am in the room or not).

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: can you really blame the resort for theft of this type?

absolutely agree.

Lunagal,

you did not approach or report the thief-couple??

heck, if i see somebody stealing from my neighbour i darn sure will act.

who steals a pair of shorts from a neighbours balcony has sure no prob to take your purse aso.

happy travels

Mike

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can you really blame the resort for theft of this type?

Have to agree.

If possible I would have taken a photo of the thief and certainly have said something, but every one is different.

When people complain about theft it so often seems that they believe that it had to be the resort's staff as if no one else is around. Statistically it is far more likely to be another guest.

Sadly, dishonest people also go on holiday.

Arlington Heights...
Level Contributor
360 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: can you really blame the resort for theft of this type?

"Only the name brands were taken - my Ralph Lauren coverup, my son's Nike sandals, etc. The thieves left behind a couple of old t-shirts and a pair of shorts"

"We lost HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF CLOTHING"

What, did they have their entire packed luggage outside.

You have to take this type of report as being greatly exaggerated. May have lost a few items, but hundreds of dollars worth??? If those types of things were left out, they deserve to have them stolen.

These types of people find it easier to blame someone else instead of taking responsibility for their STUPIDITY!!!!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: can you really blame the resort for theft of this type?

hey JRJ,

100% agreement

Mike