We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swine flu...

washington dc
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
swine flu...

Do you guys think the swine flu scare can affect travel to DR?

I'm suppose to travel to punta can in may and I'm already a little edgy about traveling with an epidemic going around.

I've been planning for that trip for about a year now, it would be so unfortunate not being able to go.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,274 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: swine flu...

Here's a thread already going on this subject...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k27380…

texas
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: swine flu...

We are traveling to Punta Cana Dominican Republic in late June. If the swine flu is not at a comfortable and safe level from Health officials, we are not going.

ohio
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: swine flu...

I'm in Ohio and there was a case not far from here...unless my travel agent tells me there is a reason I CANT go, then I will be sunning my buns in June!

Montoursville, PA
Level Contributor
709 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: swine flu...

Amen to that!

It would be a cold day in you know where before I'd cancel my trip. I've waited too long!

texas
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: swine flu...

aunttata- lol on your response. I can tell you are ready to have a great time in Punta Cana. I really want to go because we will be staying at the new Moon Palace resort, but I just don't know at this point.

Enjoy and be safe.

Allentown, PA
Level Contributor
455 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: swine flu...

This whole thing is yet another example of the media over-hyping something. The flu is actually "mild" compared to other strains. Its being made a big deal about because it is a new strain and resistant to current vaccine. No big deal really as they revamp vaccines yearly because of it. A couple have died from it yes, but do you realize that over 40k people die each year from the "normal" influenza? You don't hear about that though. I would not be the slightest concerned over this.

NJ
Level Contributor
302 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: swine flu...

Well put PAJeobo, although I'm sure you will have people disagreeing with you. I don't have a medical background, but the symptoms seem to be just as bad or even milder than the seasonal flu. Although I am still puzzled and havent found any good answers yet as to why it is so deadly in Mexico but not anywhere else. I am going to try to get some Tamiflu from my doc before I leave in less than 2 weeks (yay!), but other than than I'm not too worried.

I even spoke to my aunt who is a RN yesterday just to see if there were any cases yet at her hospital and she agrees that the media is blowing this way out of proportion.

texas
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: swine flu...

The alert level has just been raised to Level 5. The media may be blowing it out of proportion, but I am glad that they are keeping us abreast of the cases.

When you have little ones, you need information to protect them.

Sterling Heights...
Level Contributor
422 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: swine flu...

francine

It was raised where here in the states?

rubyred

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,211 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: swine flu...

WHO raised the level a couple of hours ago.