We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dozen of Mexico-bound flights rerouted to Dominican Republic

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Topic
Dozen of Mexico-bound flights rerouted to Dominican Republic

This directly from Dominican Today ..

The vice president of the hoteliers and restaurateurs grouped in Asonahores Friday said more than 50 flights with tourists who were headed to Mexico will arrive in the country this week, after the H1N1 virus that affects that nation prompted a change of destination.

Arturo Villanueva said those flights are being received via an agreement with Mexican hoteliers, as a show of solidarity.

He said all the necessary preventive measures have been taken across the country’s ports and airports and all necessary equipment have been acquired to gauge body temperatures.

The hotelier also lauded president Leonel Fernandez’s decision to allocate 50 million pesos to purchase antiviral medicine.

Villanueva said in addition to the measures the authorities have taken in hospitals and hotel zones, any person with an abnormal body temperature is subjected to an examination.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dozen of Mexico-bound flights rerouted to Dominican Republic

An extra 50 flights, to the D.R. not just Punta Cana correct? What would that translate to, 6,000-7,000 extra vacationers per week? Even if all those extra travelers were to arrive in Punta Cana I'm guessing there are maybe 80 or 90 resorts to divide them among. So really we're talking about an increase on average of 50-100 guests depending on the resort.

I'm thinking all of the posts from people lamenting possible overcrowding at the resorts may be a bit unfounded.

-Brugal

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,899 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dozen of Mexico-bound flights rerouted to Dominican Republic

Remember Brugal you have also got to add in all the people that are making their own arrangements to switch

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,748 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dozen of Mexico-bound flights rerouted to Dominican Republic

I find it interesting that it says "an agreement with Mexican hoteliers, as a show of solidarity."

Those hotels are going to profit big time from this. It's low season in the DR in May. They surely had excess capacity.

I'm glad for the employees of so many hotels that had been laid-off right after Holy Week because of the low season and the impact of the worldwide recession.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dozen of Mexico-bound flights rerouted to Dominican Republic

True Flip, but it still seems to me that the D.R. is well equipped to handle the overflow. Plus not all people canceling trips to Mexico are now going to stay in Punta Cana.

Now, if this were happening during high season I could see it being a problem. Thankfully that's not the case.

-Brugal

New York
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dozen of Mexico-bound flights rerouted to Dominican Republic

Silvia, I'm happy too for them. Out of a crisis comes good.

Brugal, I’m sure we will read first hand in the next couple of weeks what the real deal is.

I wish everyone well..

Peace

Lea

new jersey
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dozen of Mexico-bound flights rerouted to Dominican Republic

I booked in May because of the low season, do you think it will make the hotels much more crowed?

New York
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dozen of Mexico-bound flights rerouted to Dominican Republic

Tri- State neighbor Tony,

~ It appears that the resorts will be experiencing the "more than normal" guests for the season. Perhaps even full capacity, due to the circumstances. Where are you staying?

Peace

Lea

Mountain Top...
Level Contributor
605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dozen of Mexico-bound flights rerouted to Dominican Republic

There is no way you could go by how many resorts are in the DR and by how many extra flights are coming over to try to estimate the amount of guests a resorts will have, unless you know what these people booked in Mexico including price,resort and etc.. If more booked the higher end resorts in Mexico then rerouted to PC then the higher end resorts like Excellence and etc... could be running at a very high capacity.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
746 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dozen of Mexico-bound flights rerouted to Dominican Republic

Who cares if there are more people there? its just more people to meet and make friends with. As long as i still have a room and food and booze then whats the difference? Everyone is getting worked up about nothing, just go and enjoy your vacation.

G Man

new jersey
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Dozen of Mexico-bound flights rerouted to Dominican Republic

I will be at the Majestic Elegence