We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asking for a room upgrade

Hobart, Indiana
12 posts
Save Topic
Asking for a room upgrade

A large group of us are going to the Iberostar Dominicana in mid June. We have 4 rooms booked. I am wondering how to ask for a free upgrade for all of us. Do I need to bring a gift? Ask for anything in particular? Back down at the first "no"? Be super polite? Are there any buzz words? I plan on having fun no matter where we end up, but I am just curious!

manchester england
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Asking for a room upgrade

hi when you say a large group how many is there? dave

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Asking for a room upgrade

I pay for my upgrades, might I suggest you do the same? if your hearts set on an upgrade, pay for it. This is a touchy subject, and I almost gave a rude reply, but I'll hold back and just say that if you want something, then pay for it. Fair is fair.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
857 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asking for a room upgrade

how about paying for it? I think that's what the rest of us would do. I think the "free" upgrade would be reserved as payment for something resort messes up.

Hobart, Indiana
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Asking for a room upgrade

Wow, hit a nerve apparently.

Dave, we have 10 people in our party.

Like I said in my original post, I am curious and this will not affect my vacation. I am a 4-time repeat customer to IB in Riviera Maya and have gotten an upgrade there when another person in our party simply asked if it was available. Just wondering if it was possible in PC. If anyone has helpful suggestions, I would love to hear them.

manchester england
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Asking for a room upgrade

hi with you being repeat ib customers you could ask for a suite as there are some on the dominicana side but part of the bavaro grounds. id tell them you are repeat ib guests an im sure they would do there best for you. we,re goin dominicana 13th may an have put a room request in as we was at the bavaro in march. if we get it we do if we dont no problem we,l still have a good time. dave

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Asking for a room upgrade

"I am a 4-time repeat customer to IB in Riviera Maya and have gotten an upgrade there when another person in our party simply asked if it was available."

And that would be my suggestion. Upon arrival, ask if there are any upgrades available. It is also advisable to contact the resort and let them know you are a repeat Iberostar customer. They may indeed offer "repeat guests" upgrades.

As for this being a "touchy" subject, it is my opinion when you are asking people to tell you how to get something for free, when many of them have paid for that service, you are opening yourself up for comments.

As always...just my opinion.

manchester england
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Asking for a room upgrade

forgot i have been told by a ta member that there is some 2 bedroom rooms in the dominicana with a double bed in 1 room and 2 singles in the other, that might be more suitable. hope this might help.dave

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,329 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Asking for a room upgrade

Please also note that some resorts have started to fire staff for giving away free upgrades

Hoosier
Level Contributor
703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Asking for a room upgrade

Hey flipflop_man,

I hope you don't mean at Excellence.

Did someone get fired at EPC when you got upgraded to Imperial Suite One in October 2008? ;-)

I'm going to book EPM this week. I sure wouldn't mind if they offered me an upgrade for a repeat customer to Excellence resorts but I am not counting on it.

Mason, OH
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Asking for a room upgrade

I think people who have responded need to relax a bit. I don't think this person meant anything bad by what he/she asked. I too would offer some money, but sometimes people can ask and are given something for free. There is someone in my spouse's family who does this. I get annoyed, but if he asks and is given, how does that hurt me? The same goes for twocatslivehere. None of us knows this person's situation, so people try to not be so judgmental and not take it so personally.

To finally answer your question, I would suggest "slipping" the person $$ before asking. You decide how much is worth it per room. I know a friend of mine suggested to us to give $100 for just us.

Have a great time. We are going to Dreams PC on 5/23. We can't wait!