We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Punta Cana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kent
Level Contributor
225 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Excellence Punta Cana

Hi

Has anyone stayed over the Christmas period at EPC? I have stayed at Mexico and now going to DR in December for honeymoon over the CHristmas period - any thoughts welcome...thanks

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,921 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

Hi

Feel free to send me a PM if you want to know anything about the resort and I will try to assist

Hoosier
Level Contributor
703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

I stayed there the week before Christmas in 2006. They had a large Christmas tree in the lobby near where the turtles are at. Many of the palm trees had clear lights wrapped around their trunks. It was at the end of Secrets management. I am not sure if Excellence still decorates the same way?

Kent
Level Contributor
225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

Thanks - we have booked the Excellence Dominican as a change from Mexico - tad worried wont be the same! Looks really nice tho and the reviews all sound good - any tips you could give me?

St Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

Where have you stayed in Mexico?

I wouldnt worry much at all. Excellence PC is great. Food is pretty good. Not quite as good as excellence in PLaya mujeres but still very good. In Punta Cana there isnt much as far as going off the resort. Unlike Cancun but there is some shopping right there next door to the resort.

If there are any specific questions flip flop man is our man.

Kent
Level Contributor
225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

Thanks - stayed at Excellence Cancun and LOVED it!! Yeah we are for chilling this holiday so will do few excursions but mainly wanna chill. having slight nightmares as went to DR about 8 years ago to Bahia Principe and had food posioning and rained solidly fo 13 days!!

St Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

We didnt have any issues of stomach issues and didnt hear of any while we were there. Just wacth what you eat. If it doesnt look right or isnt hot if its supposed to be or cold if its supposed to be. Wash your hands often. Keep an eye on how many coco locos you drink that coconut juice can cause stomach discomfort as would too many fruity drinks.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,921 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

Hi again

Having been to all three Excellence Resorts I would say that they are all very similar but different if that makes any sense. To a certain extent it is like trying to compare a pineapple, a kiwi fruit and a mango – they are all great tropical delights but they each have their own flavours and appeals

As far as comparing EPC & ERC goes I would suggest a good starting point, if you have not already done so, would be to look at my reviews and photographs of the two resorts to see if we are in the same place with regards to ERC:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g147293-d2…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g240327-d499…

As I have said at the outset it all depend what you are looking for as everyone’s needs, wants and expectations are different. EPC is eight years old and is much more Caribbean in style and was built with the European Market in mind – in the past year or so Excellence Group have spend $8 million on a refurbishment programme. ERC was the second property that Excellence Group built, is five years old now and was built much more with the US market in mind and as such is a bit grander and has more AC

As far as the accommodation goes both resorts are very similar although we did find the rooms at EPC to be a bit brighter and a little bit more pleasing on the eye both inside and out. EPC as you will see from the resort map is stretch along the beach front whereas ERC has more limited number of beach front rooms and the rest of the resort sits back from the beach and the properties meander around a lazy river/spa complex.

As far as the restaurants go have virtually the same choice of place to dine and the food is very much the same high standard at both resorts but I would say ERC has a slight edge as it is easier to source good produce in Mexico. The bars and service is again on a par although the reception area and Martini Bar is again more impressive at ERC – it is also all enclosed and air conditioned at ERC where at EPC it more Caribbean and tropical in style with it being is open sided which we do not mind at all – in fact we prefer it.

As far as the pools and spa go whilst ERC has more pools and a better spa area I would say that EPC has the best pool area. Both resorts are great and offer activities and chill out areas – there is something for everyone.

We rated the beach and the ocean more at EPC than ERC simply because it is much more tropical in style and has many more palm tree as you will see in the photographs. At EPC you can walk for miles in either direction with seeing another resort. At ERC although you can again walk for miles in either direction there are other properties but again this can be an advantage to some people as it makes the resort feel less remote.

Both beaches have nice soft sand and have more than enough beds of various styles and plenty of shade – however as I have said the beach at EPC is much more tropical. The ocean at EPC can often be rough and is nearly always red/black flagged so it is more for playing in than swimming.

The ocean at ERC is normally calmer, is swimable but does have seagrass growing about 5-7 metres out and after stormy weather this can be a bit of a problem nearer the beach with the parts that have broken off. Any which is washed ashore is quickly picked up and Excellence try to keep the beach in front of the resort in pristine condition at all times.

Basically, you cannot go wrong with either resort but it very much depends on what you want in a holiday.

Happy to assist further if you need it

Kent
Level Contributor
225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

Thats great - thank you all for good advice - we loved ERC so intend to liove EPC the same! the service is way above anything i have had before in the carribean so am sure will be the same at EPC. Do they lay anything on for Christmas do you know? Whilst at ERC they laid on a Thanksgiving Gala Dinner outside which was excellent

Mountain Top...
Level Contributor
605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

We stayed at Excellence over Christmas time. Here's a couple of photo's of the decorations they had up on our visit.

community.webshots.com/album/571808172HnhLiL

Kent
Level Contributor
225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

Thanks they are lovely!! Did they lay any special dinners on for christmas?