We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which is the best way to call home?

St. Louis, Mo.
8 posts
Save Topic
which is the best way to call home?

we will be vacationing at the Iberostar Punta Cana, and was interested in how others have called from pc to home to check on family. calling card, sprint cell or other?? which is cheapest?

Bay Shore N.Y.
Level Contributor
409 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which is the best way to call home?

Go to an Orange shop and buy a cheap cell phone for $10.00 with charger it will be actvated, then buy a calling card $10.00--$20.00. Then it will be yours foever so anytime you visit,the rates are far cheaper.

Mentioned in this post
Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which is the best way to call home?

If you're a Verizon customer (cell phone), service is excellent, in PC.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
580 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which is the best way to call home?

Using my Verizon cellphone sounds like a great idea but it's $1.99 a min to the US. That's pricey. I imagine I can find calling cards for less?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which is the best way to call home?

The cheapest would be to take your laptop and use skype! You can do computer to computer for FREE and see them! Or you can buy skpye minutes that are really cheap and call a land line and talk to them that way.

Its what I do when I travel to both the DR and Mexico.

Love it!

Happy Travels,

bb/mt

Level Contributor
719 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: which is the best way to call home?

Counselor, how long do you really think you'll be on the phone? Even if I'm on it for 10 minutes, it's worth not having the hassle of using the calling card, finding a phone to use it with and then getting charged a fee just for using it! I'm taking my Verizon cell phone!!!

arkansas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: which is the best way to call home?

texting is 25 cents a text this is how i stay in contact with home.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
580 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which is the best way to call home?

I have a crazy family who insists on me staying in touch when I'm overseas. So, I rack up some minutes!

Someone on these forums who stayed at the Majestic Colonial in the past had recommended buying a calling card when you first get off the plane at the airport which was really cheap and then they said you can use it for free in your hotel room.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
580 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which is the best way to call home?

When I bought my hotel package from Orbitz, I checked out and added a $5 phone card for only $1 through Orbitz (I figured what the heck).. calls are .42 cents per minute to the US plus a .59 cent connection fee.

If I need additional time, the Majestic colonial sells a $10 calling card which gives you about 20-25 min of talk time. But for each call you want to make from the hotel room, the hotel charges a $2 fee (if you don't hang up and follow prompts on the calling card system to keep placing calls you only pay one connection fee)

I'll need to do some quick math and see what comes out cheapest.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
857 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which is the best way to call home?

I'm one for taking the cell phone for emergencies only. I will turn mine off when I leave Chicago on Wednesday morning, and unless something happens to me in the DR, it will not go back on until I land in NYC on my layover on my way home. If something happens while I'm in the DR, there's not really much I can do from there anyways, and if it's really serious, my family has my travel itinerary and can contact my hotel to get ahold of me if necessary.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: which is the best way to call home?

Doesn't the cell phone need to have a sims card for international calls?

Are you all suggesting simply taking your U.S. cell phone and it will work in DR without having the sims card in it?