We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone please explain why....

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone please explain why....

the tap water in the rooms at all AI resorts is not suitable for drinking, but the water used for washing food and ice are fine for consumption.

Not that its a huge problem, but in Mexico all the water is filtered at the resorts. I just don't understand the logic here.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone please explain why....

I asked that same question once. The answer I got, and I don't know how much sense it makes, is that the water is filtered. The reason you shouldn't drink it is because even though it's filtered, the bacteria is different than that of the water your body is used to. In drinking it, you are consuming more than the small amount that is used to wash foods or that you would get from the ice.

So, it's not so much that the water is dangerous, it's just different and larger amounts of it in you system can cause you to feel sick.

Don't quite know how much of that explanation I believe. The washing food part sems likely, but if you have a lot of drinks with ice, you would still be consuming a good deal of the water. Unless the freezing process does something beyond the filtering to kill off more bacteria.

Yulee, Florida
Level Contributor
517 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone please explain why....

I was under the impression that the ice is made with purified water... Regardless, we have never been sick while in PC and we have eaten salads and had drinks with icecubes.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
38,993 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone please explain why....

All cooking, washing of salads and ice is made with purified water.

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone please explain why....

The ice, I'm told is delivered to the resorts from an outside company and is good for consumption.

What I am worried about is my 15 month old son accidentally consuming small doses of it while we bathe him. Obviously we will be as careful as we can, but nobody's perfect.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anyone please explain why....

" Drinking water quality in the DR

Various factors affect the water quality in the Dominican Republic, including: poor condition of purification systems, minimal operational controls, low level of maintenance of treatment plants, and mostly intermittent systems.[5]

38.4% of water systems have no chlorination system installed. These are mostly smaller systems in rural areas. The fact that a chlorination system exists is not a guarantee that water is actually properly disinfected"

The water served in the resort is purified to our standards. If you are worried drink only bottled water, which is purified. Ice is made from purified water. Brush your teeth with bottled water and keep mouth closed in the shower. It is all part of the fun of being in another country.16 trips to PC and have never been sick from the water.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,037 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can anyone please explain why....

Think about the quantity of water that would have to be purified, if the water coming out of the taps in our rooms was treated - all that shower water, all that basin water, all that toilet water????? I don't think so.

The water used for food prep and ice - purified.

The water coming from the taps in public bathrooms and the bathroom in your room - not purified. Don't drink it. Don't brush your teeth with it. Keep your mouth closed in the shower.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Can anyone please explain why....

The tap water in the DR is not toxic it is simply different. The accepted levels of various impurities are different (read as generally higher) than what we in North America are used to consequently we are more susceptible to tummy upset if we drink it there. This coupled with the availability of plentiful purified bottled water leaves no reason to take a chance by consuming tap water. Water which is piped to the rooms and is used primarily for washing and toilet flushing is not filtered or purified and therefore should not be consumed.

In the Food and Beverage areas of the resorts all food prep, washing of fruits and vegetables, etc. is done with purified water. All ice cubes are either made on site with purified water of purchased from commercial vendors who use purified water for their production.

Resorts want happy clients - making them ill is not conducive to that goal.

Gregg

Enfield
Level Contributor
174 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can anyone please explain why....

You may even be interested to know that not even bottled water is filtered to that high a standard. Therefore, I even boil the bottled water, let it cool down and bottle it again and put it in the fridge. We do know how to keep track on which we have boiled. That way, we never end up with a bad stomach.

Tulcea, Romania
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Can anyone please explain why....

Agree with gregg.

Check the statistics-how many incidents due to the water quality. Given the statistics, water in PC is good. If something is going wrong with you, it mostly might be due to your immunity. As for babies, can be easily handled-there is enough bottled water around.

Happy travels, fearless

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Can anyone please explain why....

beachbaby2,

Different strokes...

While I find that a bit excessive (for me), if that's what floats your boat, more power to you. Never a problem with overcompensating, only the inverse.

Good traveling.

Gregg