We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

~ Mosquitoville, Blood Sucker City ~

New York
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Topic
~ Mosquitoville, Blood Sucker City ~

Good Morning Forum World!

~ After many days of heavy rains in the Dominican Republic, the sun is finally shining…

~ It’s sad that these heavy rains affected so many Dominican communities and much damage was done. I’m sending out well wishes for those affected.

~ For those that are heading down soon to vacation, go and have a spectacular time on this treasured island!

~ However, many standing water areas remain and are a huge and perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes … and will be for quite some time.

~ These buzzers are now abundant and extremely active and while most resorts have a daily fumigation system in place, which helps, it does not eliminate them all. Especially under these circumstances.

~ Unfortunately, my family and I have had two such vacations on the island after horrendous rain and have encountered the wrath of these lovely little insects. For some reason they don’t stick to the dusk & dawn cycle we have grown accustom to and are out, indiscriminately, in lush areas throughout the day, which you will find many of while strolling the resort. Of course, nighttime will be the most active. They love to participate in all the shows and activities with you :)

~ This is especially important off resort too, where there is no protection. So, if you are planning an excursion, bring your bug spray. They WILL be out, concentrated in tour areas.

~ Its best to bring DEET, the highest concentrate you can find and stand. It’s yucky smelling, but what’s a human to do? You don’t want to become a feasting ground for these hungry buzzers. Big, fat itchy welts don’t go well with a day at the beach….

~ We bring SPORTSMAN DEET spray. We also carry the DEET wipes, in a handy foil for usage at anytime. Find what works for you. Good Luck to the affected Dominican Communities and to you too!

Have fun and be safe!

Peace

Lea

ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ~ Mosquitoville, Blood Sucker City ~

Thank you for the info. Going in mid July. Hope they are gone by then. Also, if you dont mind I have question being you are from New York. We are leaving from Cleveland to JFK and on our return we only have an hour and 20 minutes to get through customs at JFK before we have to catch our flight back to Cleveland. We have never been to JFK and our a bit concerned that that will not give us enough time. What's your opinion on this and do you have any pointers on navigating the airport? Thank you in advance for your time!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ~ Mosquitoville, Blood Sucker City ~

Good post, Lea. I didn't know there was a lot of damage.

I'd been wondering about the mosquito situation after such heavy rains. I figured there was bound to be a big hatch soon.

New York
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ~ Mosquitoville, Blood Sucker City ~

Chickie,

~ July is my favorite time of year in DR. It’s absolutely gorgeous, with beautiful ocean breezes and hot temperatures. Enjoy!

~ The second lags are usually designed to accommodate those that are going to another side of the terminal. There will be available transport, if you need, if lets say you were flying out of the opposite end of the terminal from where you land. I think an hour and twenty minutes is plenty of time. In fact, you may even be able to stop for a bite to eat before boarding. The only problem you could encounter is if your flight were significantly delay, in that case there would be many affected and the airline would have to accommodate. However, JFK is a decent airport and doesn’t have nearly the amount of delays like its counter partner, LAG … you should be fine

margadagio,

~ Oh yes, sadly it is not good....

Dominican Today reported on 5/21 …..

Over 3,100 displaced, 631 houses damaged as downpours continue…

More than 3,100 people have been displaced and 631 houses damaged as the downpours continue across the country, the Emergency Operations Center (COE) said Thursday afternoon.

Two communities in Barahona (southwest) have been cut off from rivers overflowing their banks; flooding damaged 12 houses in Santo Domingo West, whereas the columns of the bridge that links El Seibo and Hato Mayor provinces (east) collapsed from a swollen Culebrín river.

Also cut off is the Central Mountain town Constanza, by landslides on the highway at the Cazabito pass; The road from Miches to El Siebo, and Uvero Alto to Higuey were also blocked when the Nisibon lagoon swelled, and flooding from the Payabo river was also reported.

The COE said its crews are on the alert and cautioned the population not to cross rivers and streams, and chlorinate and store all water in correctly covered containers.

*** And reported on 5/24…..

Dominican communities affected by heavy rains...

Fourteen Dominican communities have been isolated by heavy rains over the past few days, and 4,170 people had to be evacuated, the Emergency Operations Center (COE) said.

According to Civil Defense Director Luis Luna, the floods have also damaged 834 houses, including 60 homes in downtown SantoDomingo, where the sewer system collapsed and people had to be evacuated, said.

Five people have drowned, another one was killed by a lightning and one person is missing. The situation has worsened over the past few days as the heavy rains that affected the western, southwestern and southern parts of the country have spread to the east and southeast.

The COE decided to keep the red alert in the provinces of Barahona, Pedernales, Independencia, Bahoruco, Elías Piña, Dajabón y Montecristi. The Yellow alert was issued for San Pedro de Macorís, La Altagracia, Hato Mayor, El Seibo, Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, San Juan de la Maguana, San José de Ocoa, La Vega, Monseñor Nouel, Sánchez Ramírez, María Trinidad Sánchez, Monte Plata, Hermanas Mirabal, Samaná, San Cristóbal and Duarte. Espaillat, Santiago and La Romana are under the green alert

--------------------------------

~ Lets just send out well wishes, hope and faith that these communities will receive help and can rebuild their lives…

Peace

Lea

Think twice, cause its another day for you and me in paradise

…………… PC

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ~ Mosquitoville, Blood Sucker City ~

Sounds horrible. Those poor people. :-(

I hope the sun stays shining so things can dry up soon and folks can try to put their lives back together. I know, easier said than done when you're poor and don't have money for repairs.

Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: ~ Mosquitoville, Blood Sucker City ~

In relation to your warning, how long do the mosquitoes tend to stick around for after heavy rains? I am arriving a week today and was hoping I would only have to wear DEET spray in the evening, I almost never get bitten by anything.

Thanks in advance

queens new york
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: ~ Mosquitoville, Blood Sucker City ~

Hi Lea You write about many areas in the Dom, but never Punta Cana. Was Punta Cana hit with all that rain and flooding.I will be at the Grand Oasis 6/6---6/13 Thanks

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ~ Mosquitoville, Blood Sucker City ~

Punca Cana hasn't suffered at all, as the construction here is concrete.

Most damages were in the south west, the poorest of the country, as people there have very light wooden housing built by the riversides, and we all know what constant rain can do in these areas.....

oklahoma girl at...
Level Contributor
473 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ~ Mosquitoville, Blood Sucker City ~

Can you buy high concentrate deet anywhere (i.e. Walmart) or do I need to look at a sporting goods store?

New York
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ~ Mosquitoville, Blood Sucker City ~

~ While Monica is correct in that there was no significant damage to the Punta Cana area, other than swelling rivers and lagoons…. there still was TONS of rain creating the ideal conditions I originally wrote of regarding mosquitoes.

Mypaperheart, .... I can only imagine that as the baths of water dissolve, so will the breeding ground that hosts these pests. Otherwise, I don’t have a concrete answer for you. Just take the same precautions as you would, as if it still exist, and you should be fine

Kenzie,

They sell DEET everywhere.

Peace

Lea

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ~ Mosquitoville, Blood Sucker City ~

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

We are arriving at the Riu Palace Macao late Friday afternoon and I wonder if anyone has had bad experiences in the Riu complex?