We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swine Flu upgraded to a catagory 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Topic
Swine Flu upgraded to a catagory 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright so the world health association has upgraded this pademic to the highest level (6)....They are predicting the worse is to come early fall....

Everyone needs to get their flu shots this fall ....with so many people travelling now a days this could really spread like wildfire....YIKES....

Any cases in the Dominican that anyone knows of and how are the authorities dealing with this recent upgrade????

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,400 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swine Flu upgraded to a catagory 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No need to panic as life goes on as normal

There are 91 confirmed cases in DR which is an insignificant number compared to those in Canada - see link below to the full worldwide breakdown:

www.who.int/csr/don/2009_06_12/en/index.html

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Swine Flu upgraded to a catagory 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks flipflop!

Not to panick.....

ottawa, ont.
Level Contributor
853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swine Flu upgraded to a catagory 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not to sound grim, but statistically speaking you have a much higher chance of dying on the car ride to the airport than you do of dying from swine flu..

Go and have a good trip, and if you are worried about malaria, much higher chance of contracting west nile right in your own backyard

Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Fredericton, St. John's
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swine Flu upgraded to a catagory 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well put lbarret.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swine Flu upgraded to a catagory 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as it's on the car ride back to the PUJ airport at the end of the trip.

;-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Swine Flu upgraded to a catagory 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL....thanks guys....not that we are planning to vacation any time soon...not until January 10 ...but I thought I would get peoples point of view on this! It is awesome to hear everyones positive comments..... We wont let this FLU dampen our holiday! Stay healthy everyone and happy vacationing :)

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Staten Island
Level Contributor
614 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swine Flu upgraded to a catagory 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a nurse, the swine flu is not as serious as it is made out to be. All you need to do is WASH YOUR HANDS all the time no matter where you are. Its a great defense against disease and illness.

Dont worry and go on with your life as normal, and it's a little irresponsible for you to post "this could really spread like wildfire" as it is only the flu, and it is not deadly unless you have a pre-existing condition.

Posts like this are what will hurt most in the end, not even the flu. A post like this will prevent people from going on with their normal business and taking trips as they'd like and it will hurt the Dominican people as well as your own people. Prices will rise for resorts due to low occupancy and need for more $, so you need to think about how to word the post before putting it, that itself can hurt more people than the actual swine flu.

Good luck to all and really, just WASH YOUR HANDS, it's that simple.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,400 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swine Flu upgraded to a catagory 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geek

An even better option would be not to have one at all

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Swine Flu upgraded to a catagory 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Im sorry If I offended you! Gina!

In Canada it is spreading like wildfire...and Im guessing this is why they are calling it a panademic?? I realize people have to wash their hands and thank you for your contribution to this post...Im not trying to dampen anyones holiday or vacation for that matter but just wondered what other peoples take was on it.... As I had read a post a few weeks back on the way the Dominican authorities were handling this situation and just wondered if they have upped their caution alerts as this has been upgraded to a "6".

Thats all sorry for asking such a dumb question!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Staten Island
Level Contributor
614 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swine Flu upgraded to a catagory 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Deprivergirl, you certainly did not offend me and I'm sorry if my post sounded harsh, I was just trying to say that your question is of course a vaild question, definitely not dumb, I was just saying that it could've done without the middle "scary" part.

I apologize and yes your question is valid and I only emphasize wash your hands because it's such a simple task that MANY people actually do not do often enough, and it would prevent SO many illnessess it's actually amazing.

So I apologize about the way my post was written I just feel that this isn't as serious as many make it. Think back to the bird flu, came and went, people were buying face masks walking all over NYC with them on, it was ridiculous and now we don't even hear about it. I just want people to educate themselves on the realities of this before getting all hyped up because something like this can actually ruin a country, and that's worse than a few people dying (sounds bad but really the truth). It's already taken a huge toll on Mexico's economy and all these other countries economies do affect our own, it just may not be seen for a year or so and with the world the way it is already, we need to be cautious in our actions.

So at least someone did answer your question which said that there are more cases in your home country than even in DR so that should be a help in making a decision to travel.

Peace to all, happy traveling.