We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian cuisine

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
511 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Vegetarian cuisine

My friends wife is a strict vegetarian and is reluctant to go All Inclusive in case she does not enjoy the food. Having stayed at the Riu complex in POP last year, but being a strict meat eater I don't know how a vegetarian would get on.

Can anybody advise on the standards of catering for vegetarians in general and are there any recommended resorts which other people have found to be good. Variety and quality would have to be a consideration since they would be there for two weeks.

Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian cuisine

Hi, I love food too and variety is important.

Whenever I eat at hotels I notice there is usually a vegetable or potato soup for starters

Then I like a full salad:-

Grated beetroot, carrot, cabbage - sliced cucumber, tomatoes, onions, green & black olives, blue or manchego cheese, dried figs & apricots and a variety of olive oil dressings, some with garlic

Then I'll have steamed broccoli, grilled fish or calamares and a baked potato which has an optional cream topping - the Riu hotels have a nice rose house wine too

As a special treat I'll also have a slice of tuna & corn pizza - especially when it's just come out of the brick oven & piping hot

They have avocados when they are in season. There's also a great variety of steamed vegetables, rice & beans, cauliflower with cheese.

For dessert my favourite is walnut pie and a few slices of mango, melon or some passion fruit - I try & skip the wallop of ice cream

At reakfast time there's lots of fruits, yogurt, porridge with cinnamon, whole grain bread for toast and your choice of omelette cooked in front of you, baked beans, boiled potatoes in butter & parsley, cheese platter, cooked tomatoes etc

Then there's the a la carte restaurants ...

bb

London, United...
Level Contributor
511 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian cuisine

Many thanks for a great answer bb. Apart from the grated beetroot and the cabbage, I might try a bit of vegetarian myself next time I go (last two weeks of Feb next year)

You seem to go to different resorts. Are these the sorts of choices at the Riu's in POP or are they sort of standard for all complexes?

Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian cuisine

The Riu hotels, more or less, have similar menus but no doubt individual chefs excert a little influence too .... bb