We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is AI option necesary at Paradisus Punta Cana?

jersey city
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is AI option necesary at Paradisus Punta Cana?

I'm staying (solo) at the Paradisus Punta Cana as part of the Melia Vacation Club the last week in July. They've given me a $200 credit as a promotiom they're running. The all inclusive option is about $90 a day I think. I don't eat 3 meals a day regularly, so I certainly won't while relaxing on the beach (I'm also quite happy with a bag of microwave popcorn for an occasional dinner). I don't do much drinking on vacation-maybe one or two pina coladas on the beach is about it. Not looking to do anything other than sit on the beach and read. So I'm wondering if I will be able to eat without hassle at the restaurants if I do not purchase the all inclusive. The front desk says "yes" but they often say anything until you get there and then the reality is something different. If anyone has any experience with this situation or any other info or suggestions on the PPC resort/timeshare I would certainly appreciate it. I'd rather know ahead of time if I really need to purchase the AI option. Thanks!

Reply to this post

Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
454 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is AI option necesary at Paradisus Punta Cana?

Your message isn't too clear - or maybe it's me!

The credit is in the form of a refund - if not what can you do with it?

My guess is that you won't be able to dine in the hotel unless you are paying for it

Your wristband at the hotel will display you package status I would imagine

By replying I'm bumping up your post in the hope someone may have more info for you

Good luck

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is AI option necesary at Paradisus Punta Cana?

we stayed there(not sure which melia b/c there are 2 there)4yrs ago and did not do the AI and had no trouble. we had a rental car however and were able to go to grocery stores to get supplies. i think we were the only people at the resort not on the AI plan but still ate there some and had to pay as we went and sometimes confused the servers as they are unaccustomed to the non-ai thing. there was a microwave in the room and they brought us a coffee maker on request.

Thamesford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is AI option necesary at Paradisus Punta Cana?

I think you would have to find out how much is charged for the drinks and how much for the meals and see how close it is to the AI charge. Are you going to enjoy your holiday having to think or worry about how much everything is going to be costing you every time you eat and have a drink, even if its just pop or juice. We like AI because we don't have to bring extra money and don't have to carry a wallet with us all day.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is AI option necesary at Paradisus Punta Cana?

Yeah I agree...you might want to email or call the resort to see what they charge. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't cheap ie $10 per drink, $5 for soft drink, $15 for breakfast/lunch and at least $30 for dinner without wine.......it might add up to the $90 per day AI price very quickly. It might make it a more enjoyable vacation if you can just eat and drink as you feel without having to hear the old cash register go chaching in your head everytime you order something don't you think?

5. Re: Is AI option necesary at Paradisus Punta Cana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2010, 05:17