We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

securing valuables?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
securing valuables?

I recently read a new review on the Grand Oasis reporting theft from a locked safe by a resort employee. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to secure items the safest way while using a safe? We don't plan on taking much valuables, just some spending cash and our passports. As much as I hate to say it...I don't want to be stuck there because someone stole our passports. Thanks for any help offered!

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: securing valuables?

I'm also awaiting an answer to this. I'm traveling alone and this is one of the things that worries me. What would I do if my money or cards or passport were stolen? I wouldn't even know where to start.

Kris

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: securing valuables?

Do NOT keep all your money in one place.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Staten Island
Level Contributor
609 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: securing valuables?

Like Debbie said, spread out your money, keep some money on you, some in the safe and keep a $20 in your luggage, and use the safe properly, make sure your important stuff is in there, enter the code, make sure it's locked.

I had no problems, I think you'll be fine.

Pahrump, Nevada
Level Contributor
27 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: securing valuables?

We just returned and had NO problems at our resort, The Royal Suites Turquesa. We even left nice jewelry laying out and it wasn't touched!

Do make sure that your safe is shut & locked before leaving your room! Ours popped open once, but it was because we didn't hold the door tightly while punching in our code. It happened right away, so we saw it happen, and realized what we had done wrong. No more problems with our safe after that, and we had alot of valuables in there!! Have Fun, it's not as scary as some people make it out to be!

I wore my EXPENSIVE diamond wedding ring, even on 3 excursions~ No problems what so ever!!

ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: securing valuables?

Thank you all for your input.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,630 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: securing valuables?

You must also remember that a lot of reports you see about things being stolen are not true and the guest actually lost the item concerned

Carelessness tend to go hand in hand with how much you drink

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: securing valuables?

Hello,

I've also never had any problem, but just in case I always take a photocopy of the relevant pages in our passports and our debit / credit cards. I also have the telephone help numbers of the British Embassy and credit card providers.

That way in the (albeit very unlikely) event that items go missing at least you have the information to cancel the cards and get a temporary passport.

As I said the chances of this happening are remote so please enjoy your holiday.

Yulee, Florida
Level Contributor
517 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: securing valuables?

As Shiela said, make copies of all your information. We take a copy of our passport and drivers licenses (we bring the license along, but don't drive in the DR) and keep them separate from the originals. I also write down our CC number, contact telephone numbers and any other important info in a small notebook that I carry and keep seperate. We also leave copies of everything with someone at home.

We use TSA locks when we travel and the last few times in PC we have kept some stuff in the safe and some in our luggage which we lock with the TSA lock AND the TSA strap. We always hear of the 'safe' being broken into but we have never heard of luggage being 'ripped open' and stuff taken. Knock wood we have not had any problems and we will be doing the same on our trip in August.

Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Fredericton, St. John's
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: securing valuables?

Found this gadget last year, (still have yet to get one).

It is used to lock your safe after using the pinpad.

http://www.milockie.com/order.php

london,Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: securing valuables?

For the last two years we have used Travelsafe100 by Pacsafe which we ordered on line. With the electronic ones just make sure you don't enter the #s when anyone else is there to see and make sure it is actually locked because if not done correctly the door does remain open. The gadget in the previous post does look interesting and might be worth getting if you are really concerned.