We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety issues

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Level Contributor
282 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Safety issues

I am planning a trip for Oct. and was thinking Aruba or DR. But people that I know that have been keep saying that it is not as safe and I won't want to leave the resort. How true is this?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,794 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety issues

Not true at all.

Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Fredericton, St. John's
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety issues

WE left our resort for an awesome day trip into Bavero and then hooked up with other TripAdvisor members @ STEVE'S Bar.

Felt safer there than in some parts of my own Country!!

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
12,986 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety issues

We also have never had an issue off of the resort property - always use common sense as you would on any night out in any large city. Never felt unsafe at any time.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,530 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety issues

Have never felt unsafe in any way, shape or form. Headed back for our 10th trip.........

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Staten Island
Level Contributor
611 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety issues

No they were exaggerating.

Not true at all, I just wouldn't venture out and walk the streets alone at night, but who would, unless you're somewhere that you're more familiar with.

I left the resort twice and loved every minute of it.

Here's photos of the towns, yes, not exactly Main Street USA, but it's good for you to experience other cultures, nothing scary about it. Makes you appreciate your life and all you have even more.

You could miss out on something beautiful.

…photobucket.com/albums/af82/Healthygina28/…

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,763 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety issues

Have the people you talked with been to DR???

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety issues

I have been to both Aruba and the DR. Aruba is much more north americanized place and thus some folks feel more comfortable and safe in that environment. Certianly there isn't the poverty is Aruba that you'll see in many areas of the DR. However, i don't know that in reality it Aruba is "safer" than the DR. People sometimes stigmatize proverty and equate it with crime--not necessarily true.

Anyway, I have never felt unsafe in the DR. You might feel uncomfortable due to the proverty but the dominican people are as kind and honest as you'll find anywhere.

Cheers

Lance

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Staten Island
Level Contributor
611 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety issues

You could also then make the argument that that girl went missing from aruba and i've never heard such stories coming from Punta Cana, so like the other poster asked, have these people been there? I feel its safe enough that i'd take my children there, of course in seatbelts and ask the driver to drive slower because they do drive wildly out there lol

9. Re: Safety issues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2010, 08:16