We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just a question (if closing the major pool would you cancel)

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
299 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Just a question (if closing the major pool would you cancel)

We are going on vacation in Sept/09 and we heard that the main pool is going to be closed for repairs. Does this mean we should cancel our trip. They are not sure they when they are doing this. Does anyone know if the travel company will let us switch resorts

Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Fredericton, St. John's
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just a question (if closing the major pool would you cancel)

Very good question. I would keep an ear (eye) on the forum for updates. You may luck out and miss the repairs....if they are working on "Dominican time".

However, if in the next few weeks it doesn't look good I would contact your Travel Agency.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,630 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just a question (if closing the major pool would you cancel)

Which resort are you going to???

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
907 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just a question (if closing the major pool would you cancel)

hi Jake

Yes Jake, which resort are referring to? if you say there will be forum members who can give a more informative response i.e if there are other pools etc and whether this would have affected their stay at the hotel or not....

Thanks

Kitty

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just a question (if closing the major pool would you cancel)

I would cancel in a heart beat. Your lucky, most of the time when hotels close their pools for repairs the tourists don't discover this until they arrive. In my opinion, a closed pool is a biggy!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just a question (if closing the major pool would you cancel)

I've got a pool in my backyard at home so when I go south it's to sit by the beach, so it wouldn't matter to me at all ... as long as they don't close the beach bar!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,805 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just a question (if closing the major pool would you cancel)

Usually when the resort is doing major work like that the price is really low for the week. I would compare the deal, how important is the pool to you, I would probably change resorts because we are pool people.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just a question (if closing the major pool would you cancel)

momluvstorun is on the same page as I am..... I sit on the beach. No pool? No problem. In fact, last year, at PCP, I didn't even go in the pool, for the entire week....not once.

HOWEVER!!! With the main pool being closed, imagine how much more crowded the beach will be AND how much more difficult it will be to get a chair or a palapa.

So, while there being no pool would... in theory... be no big deal to me, how it would affect the flow of the rest of the resort, would be an issue to consider.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,630 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just a question (if closing the major pool would you cancel)

Even if you are beach people having an empty pool with workmen in it making a noise is neither nice or very pleasing to the eye

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just a question (if closing the major pool would you cancel)

This is not to make comparisons between resorts just

informational.....When Sandals, Antigua was under construction and pool completion, they offered......

.....cancellation or rescheduling of your trip

.....transfer to Sandals, different island

.....upgrade room, $250.00 spa credit, and a three night, comp, upon return, accommodations in the new construction (good marketing move...you can see how they would make money on this one)

I wouldn't cancel my trip because there are so many great resorts. I would ask to be switched unless the resort is willing to make a comp worth you rescheduling or tolerating the construction.

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just a question (if closing the major pool would you cancel)

My concern wouldn't be the fact that there was no pool, but the effects of this - e.g people movement, noise, dust etc on the resort.

In the UK Travel Companies should let you know if work at the hotel will change its specifications. (The Trades Descriptions Act)Hopefully this also applies in Canada.

What have your travel compnay advised?