We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for experts on Excellence PC and surrounding area

Toronto
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Question for experts on Excellence PC and surrounding area

Just curious... my hubby and I were there at the EPC for 2 wks in July and loved walking along the beach to the right of the hotel where it almost feels like you're on a deserted island once you get around the bend because there is nothing much around but palm trees, sand and water. But not too far from the hotel almost just after you get around the bend close to where the reef is, there is a clearing up where the trees are, and a little hut/house type thing, which is mostly screen from the looks of it... on our last day there I went a little closer to try and get a look at what it was as I thought it was abandoned but there was a Haitian guy (couldn't have been older than about 20) walking around with a jug of water or something in his hand, a fire on the ground inside the structure (house? not sure) and a horse or donkey (think it was a horse - it was not that close and half behind a tree so couldn't tell), tied up there as well.

I started to take a few photos from the end of the property where the sand stops and the grass/plants/trees begin and the guy came toward me with a big smile on his face and a camera phone in his hand - he wanted to take OUR picture. He was friendly so we said sure, even though it was a bit weird that he wanted our picture, and I took a picture of him taking a picture of us just for kicks.

Anyway, my Spanish is pretty good but he had a heavy Haitian accent and a very deep voice so I was having a hard time understanding him. I asked him what this was but was not clear on walking away. I think he said he farms the coconut palm trees there, or something? I don't know if that was his house or if he just worked there... and I'm really curious if anyone who knows the area might know what/who I am talking about and/or what that property/hut/house is.

Anyone?

Hoosier
Level Contributor
703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for experts on Excellence PC and surrounding area

I remember in January seeing a small run down building back in the trees about half way down to Sirens resort as well. I first thought it to be abandoned but did see someone outside. I have no idea whom it belongs to or lives there.

Toronto
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for experts on Excellence PC and surrounding area

I am not sure if I could say it was halfway to Sirenis... it was only about 5 or 10 minutes walking distance from Excellence.

I wish I could post pics here to show which place I mean. I am so curious! :) Thanks...

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for experts on Excellence PC and surrounding area

Host your pics on http://tinypic.com/

and the post the image url here, very easy

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,486 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for experts on Excellence PC and surrounding area

We have walked passed there may times and have never been approached by anyone

Mountain Top...
Level Contributor
605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for experts on Excellence PC and surrounding area

We have also have seen that person. When he seen us on the beach walking he sent a little kid down to us. He must have been around 10 yrs old asking for money. They where harmless but also it was alittle weird also.

6. Re: Question for experts on Excellence PC and surrounding area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 12:18
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,958 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for experts on Excellence PC and surrounding area

I have probably made the walk from Dreams to Excellence 10 times and have never been approached by anyone and have always felt very safe.

Toronto
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for experts on Excellence PC and surrounding area

Thanks! Here it is

[IMG]http://i32.tinypic.com/2utkhar.jpg[/IMG]

Toronto
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for experts on Excellence PC and surrounding area

Hi there, we were not just passing by. The only reason the guy came up to us at all was because I began walking onto his property to see what the house looking thing was, and I wanted to get a picture of the area it was in. He saw me coming closer and sort of scoping the area out so came to us. I don't think he would have come down to the sandy part of the beach to approach us if we had not gone up onto the grassy part above the beach that was on his land.

Toronto
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for experts on Excellence PC and surrounding area

Are you talking about the art dealer directly beside Excellence Punta Cana's watersports rental center? Like, where you get kayaks from and boogie boards from, etc.? Or from the house thing that I am talking about which is a bit further down.