We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mamajuana- anyone have any side effects from this drink????

Philadelphiak PA
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mamajuana- anyone have any side effects from this drink????

My husband and I went to Punta Cana back in the Spring. We of course tried this at our resort- thinking that everyone is drinking it here; it is the resort; it must be safe....etc...so we try it and husband had bad side effects from this drink. Basically it made him "manic" and was in the hospital for over 2 weeks. I did as well but my side effects were different than his and not severe. Just was wondering if anyone else any problems drinking this. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Near Ottawa
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mamajuana- anyone have any side effects from this drink????

My only side affect was the hangover first I have heard of this but who knows different things have different outcomes for different people

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,711 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mamajuana- anyone have any side effects from this drink????

The mamajuana drink is pretty much served on all resorts and excursions. I'm not saying it didn't happen to you but I've never heard of this before with anyone else and thousands of tourists probably have a shot or two of this while vacationing at some point or another.

How do you know it was the mamajuana?

Cheers, Debbie

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
14,101 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mamajuana- anyone have any side effects from this drink????

Hmmmm...that is a new one. Each person has tolerances and deficiencies in literally everything....who knows. Also....has it been confirmed that mamajuana (nothing more than rum, honey, red wine and wood chips) is the cause of the condition?

Cheers

PCMike

Philadelphiak PA
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mamajuana- anyone have any side effects from this drink????

Thanks for your replies- Debbie- well can't say 100% percent but he was totally normal before the trip. The only "Different" and out of the ordinary thing we did on the trip was drink that. I know they say that there are herbs/ roots from plants in it so thinking he had a reaction to those possibly. Can't prove it of course but just trying to get a feel if anyone else ever had such a reaction to it. Thanks again for your replies....

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,210 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mamajuana- anyone have any side effects from this drink????

The only side effects I've seen are the occasional instances where Mamajuana could cause erecti*ns lasting more than four hours. In that case you should seek immediate medical attention or consult your spouse about what to do next.

-Brugal

Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Fredericton, St. John's
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mamajuana- anyone have any side effects from this drink????

lol, too funny Brugal!

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mamajuana- anyone have any side effects from this drink????

Funny!!!:), i just about chocked as i was spitting wine on the laptop...sorry, don't mean to make fun of an illness but that is weird..

St. Louis
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mamajuana- anyone have any side effects from this drink????

I believe the proper response would be to call EVERY single one of your buddies from grade school to the present, then post on FaceBook, MySpace, and maybe take out a billboard ad.

LOL

Philadelphiak PA
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mamajuana- anyone have any side effects from this drink????

I should have known better than to post a question on here....My husband was sick for a long time after our trip and these "making fun" comments are really not necessary. Thanks to those of you who didn't mock my question and to those of you who did, hopefully when you have something happen to you in life that takes you for a loop and you need help, hopefully someone will lend an ear and not a joke.......

belgium
Level Contributor
97 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mamajuana- anyone have any side effects from this drink????

In any case I will be staying away from the mamajuana's.

Don't be affanded by the jokes. People here know eachother for a long time and are friends. I don't think they mean to make fun off you.