We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shop around before you book

Canada
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Shop around before you book

I have been doing my homework for weeks and finally booked at Secrets. I went to many online travel websites and shopped for the best price . I then went to a travel agentI did not even know and without blinking an eye they matched my best price . It helps to bring verification but the travel agent just looked the site up. There was a 500.00 differnce from the very highest quote I received for the exact same thing.I always compare appples to apples. Check out www.escapes.ca ! They were the lowest . Hope that helps . Can't wait till January 12 .

Medford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shop around before you book

I did the same thing. I checked the internet (at least 20 different travel sites) and called almost every local travel agency. I took a printed copy of the lowest quote and faxed it to Amex travel. They came within $50, and I got double rewards points for booking with my Amex gold card. I also have the security of booking through Amercan Express worldwide travel services. Any problems and I just call Amex world wide and they fix it. Amex pulls enough weight and offers various travel services so that I don't have to worry about overbooked hotels or concelled flights or lost luggage etc etc etc. It was worth the extra $50 to me. I'll be at Secrets for 6 days in November for $2500 US with all taxes transfers and insurance.

Paul G.

Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shop around before you book

I do the same thing no matter where I travel. I check out the internet travel discount sites for my best deal and contact my regular travel agent and she matches the price. I personally like to deal with a real live travel agent because a GOOD one will be in your corner if you have a problem before, during or even after your vacation and they have a wealth of information on various destinations and hotels/resorts. If for some reason I can't do a sell off and must book a few months ahead of time our travel agent will give us 12% off the travel brochure price.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shop around before you book

American Express was still much higher than escapes.ca .

Medford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shop around before you book

Yeah, if you are in Canada. But since I don't live in Canada, and they don't have a US based website, they are completely useless to myself or anyone else living outside of Canada.

Here in the Philly metro area you can take just about any deal, as long as it is legit, and go to any one of the 10+ local American Express Travel Agencies and negotiate directly with the local agent, who then books for you through American Express Travel. Like I said before, $50US more than the cheapest internet (vacationexpress.com, cheapcarribean.com, etc etc,) or any other major including travelocity, orbitz, apple, liberty or expedia.

As I said before. Get your best price and shop it around. All I had to do was fax the best price to my local AMEX travel office and they emailed me back a competitive offer, along with the security of going through AMEX. I never had to leave my desk. I am spending $2500US on my one getaway vacation this year with my wife. The cheapest other quote I got was $2450US. For me it was worth the extra $50 for peace of mind. Look through these posts and see how many people have had thier flight or accomodations changed on them by a low cost travel company. I wonder how many of those people would have paid an extra $50 dollars to have not had to deal with that aggravation.

You get what you pay for. Your experience may vary.

Paul G.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shop around before you book

Good Point Gulfstream . I was trying to give Canadians that info . I should have been more specific .

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shop around before you book

I also shopped around on the websites, I'm in Canada and cannot find anything that beats selloffvacations.com, they actually have a guarantee so it pays to look around but still never found anything cheaper. Americans seem to use Apple Vacations alot and I checked that out and found the prices to be expensive, I got a great deal to Punta Cana for Xmas...Dec 20 ~ Ocean Blue~7 nights~$1102 cdn + tax, that price however is long gone, sorry to say, guess it pays to shop early :)

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shop around before you book

Just booked Secrets as well for January..

Checked out

exitnow.ca (Highest)

yourtickets.com

selloffvacations.com

iTravel2000

RedTag.ca (Lowest)

As it turns out Redtag had the cheapest package for the same flight #!!

Surprised me, since every price I always checked the cheapest was always youtraveltickets followed by selloff.

I also just booked Bahia for November and the price was lowest with Selloff..

So you do have to shop around EVERY TIME!!!

For the people who are afraid to book on the internet.. All the above are reputable travel agencies with offices in Ontario. I have booked through RedTAg before and they are in Mississauga, went to their office to pick up the tickets.

The way the compete with prices, they have an office in a less desirable area, behind other offices, their rent is cheaper and they generate traffic on the internet, not from people who drive by the location!

You can call them, if you have questions, you can go in person.. they are just as safe as your regular travel agent..

Ontario
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shop around before you book

We are going to Punta Cana in Jan. Redtag has been our cheapest so far for Ocean Sand

Canada
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shop around before you book

From Canada www.escapes.ca still beatswww.redtag.ca . Most travel agencies will match the price .You just have to print out the quote and take it with you if you are hesitant to book online.

Ontario
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shop around before you book

We are going to Ocean Sand and it is $200 more with escapes than redtag.