We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How likely is Air Canada Vacations change flight times?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dorakk
Level Contributor
182 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
How likely is Air Canada Vacations change flight times?

Hi,

I'm trying to book for my vacation in April. I'm basically debating between Air Transat package and Air Canada package, the price difference is $140 with AC being more expensive.

I'm kinda worry about Air Transat as I know being a chartered airline, with departure date set to 6 months later, there is a big chance that they will:

- Change the airline (from AT to Canjet or SkyService)

- Change the route from direct to stop over

- Change the time of the flight in / out

I personally don't mind flying with AT, but definitely not SkyService. I also don't want them to change my early fight out to late flight out.

I'm actually thinking of paying the extra $140 to buy the package from AC. But now the question is, how likely will AC modify their original flight times? Given that I'm booking 6 months out.

Has anyone experience flight time changes with AC?

Thanks in advanced.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
451 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How likely is Air Canada Vacations change flight times?

We've travelled with Air Canada quite often. . . and the most they have ever changed our flight time is about 45 minutes!! The other good thing is the luggage allowance. . . 2 x 50lb. bags per person. . . as opposed to 44 lb. with Air Transat. Also. . . there is more leg room on the planes. I would book Air Canada, unless you went Club Class with Air Transat. . . but then again. . . they could switch planes and take that away!!

Cat

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
451 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How likely is Air Canada Vacations change flight times?

We've travelled with Air Canada quite often. . . and the most they have ever changed our flight time is about 45 minutes!! The other good thing is the luggage allowance. . . 2 x 50lb. bags per person. . . as opposed to 44 lb. with Air Transat. Also. . . there is more leg room on the planes. I would book Air Canada, unless you went Club Class with Air Transat. . . but then again. . . they could switch planes and take that away!!

Cat

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
451 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How likely is Air Canada Vacations change flight times?

Hmmm. . . don't know what happened there. . .must have something to do with the Facebook option! :(

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How likely is Air Canada Vacations change flight times?

Yep, love the luggage allowance with AC. We're flying with them Jan 1st and they have changed the flight time once from 7:15am to 6:45am so really nothing at all - the earlier the better :-)

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,843 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How likely is Air Canada Vacations change flight times?

In all our travles we have had just about everything happen and with different airlines so don't think there is really any way of knowing what will happen with either. AT has changed times, cancelled flights, and changed planes (lose Club Class) on us. But we have also had AC drop a direct flight to Cancun and route us through Toronto with no warning - found out when we arrived at the Airport in Halifax. So anything can happen.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How likely is Air Canada Vacations change flight times?

There are no guarantees no matter who you fly with. I've had problems with AC and Air Transat in the past. I've also had many flights with no problems at all. Toss a coin.

Montreal
Level Contributor
823 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How likely is Air Canada Vacations change flight times?

I too booked my trip for april (our wedding) and I choose to go with AC because of the extra luggage weight. I have notice some ppl who booked this summer for thier Nov vaca who booked with AT, their plane had changed to Canjet.

you can look at it 2 ways. Pay more but get more luggage weight and less of a chance of the flight changing. Or you can go with the cheaper and maybe your times will change.

It's a tough one... If it wasn't for my wedding I'd go for the cheaper one. I will still have a 7 day vaca either way.

Good luck!!

where are you going in April and when exactly?

Cambridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
216 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How likely is Air Canada Vacations change flight times?

The other thing to remember with Air Canada is that their flights are NOT Charters (they are regularly scheduled flights), so they are more likely not to get cancelled (other then for weather). Also, you get your own personlized entertainment system, with free on demand movies.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How likely is Air Canada Vacations change flight times?

It's possible a few hours change or morning to afternoon, etc. but far less likely with AC compared to the charters. AC is excellent for direct flights whereas sometimes with charters, etc you can be doing the milk run all over the place unexpecdelty, example I recntly chekced out Sunwing to go to PUJ, and the routes goes Montreal - Quebec City - Puerto Plata - Punta Cana, etc. which can make for a long day! I also found some of the charter departure times hellish. I don't want to fly out at 21:30 and come back at 2:30 ! AC has normal, more humane flight schedules. Personally, we fly AC each time South as its very reliable, baggage allowance is excellent and you can even upgrade to Exec Class for $299 more on a lot of routes. This is a good deal I find considering its normally about $1500+ to fly Exec if you were buying a air only ticket. I would personally shell out another $250+ to fly AC versus the rest.

Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Fredericton, St. John's
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How likely is Air Canada Vacations change flight times?

Never had a flight depart for or leave Punta Cana on time. Travelled with Canjet , SUNWING and SunQuest.

Don't mind not leaving the DR at the right time, but would like to get there on time!