We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Please - Wedding party of 40 displaced by Hurrican...

Victoria, BC.
Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Help Please - Wedding party of 40 displaced by Hurrican...

I am writing this email as a plea to help us with our wedding plans. My fianc������������������������������������������������������ and I have been engaged for almost 2.5 years and have been planning our wedding in Mexico since the day he proposed. We knew immediately that we wanted to get married in Mexico and after visiting the Bahia Principe Akumal/Tulum last year we started working with the wedding coordinators there to plan our very special day. We were thrilled that 40 of closest friends and family also decided to join us on our journey to Mexico to attend our wedding.

Sadly, hurricane Wilma destroyed the beautiful Mayan Riviera along with our wedding plans. Now we have been moved to a new country and new resort - the Bahia Principe Punta Cana. We are truly thankful that we have found a new destination even though it wasn't exactly what we envisions for our wedding venue. Unfortunately we have run into an even larger problem and don't know what to do. The only time the wedding coordinator at the Bahia Principe Punta Cana can give us for our wedding is Nov. 10... the day the rest of our family and friends return back to Canada. We are deeply sadden to say the least! All 40 people are spending thousands of dollars to be with us at our wedding and now they will not be able to share in the most important day of our lives. We are pleading with anyone who can help us find a way to get married there between Nov. 5th and Nov. 9th, 2005. We are also willing to go to the sister hotel, the Bahia Principe Bavaro for the wedding ceremony. We would also be willing to pay extra to have an extra Judge/Minister brought in for the ceremony.

We chose the Bahia Principe organization because they are known worldwide for their quality, professionalism and customer service. As of yet the BPPC hasn't been able to accomodate our needs. Any help or suggestions from anyone would be a huge help. Thank you all!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Please - Wedding party of 40 displaced by Hurrican...

change to a different hotel.

Victoria, BC.
Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Please - Wedding party of 40 displaced by Hurrican...

Thank you for the suggestion... but because of the hurricane and our large party we had no option to go to any other resorts.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Please - Wedding party of 40 displaced by Hurrican...

I agree, change to a different resort that will accomodate your wishes. This won't be anything like you are wanting if everyone is leaving. Get your agent to change you and fast! Let the hotel know that they are losing 40 guests because they couldn't arrange this for you. This is costing your guests too much money for you to settle on this.

Alberta
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Please - Wedding party of 40 displaced by Hurrican...

Are you flying right out of Victoria?? Would there be another departure place (Edmonton, Calgary??) that would offer different dates of travel then you would only have to do an add on from Victoria... This way if the only day you can get married on is the 10th, at least everyone can be there. I understand that may not accommodate all 40 people... : ( Did everyone have insurance?

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,751 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Please - Wedding party of 40 displaced by Hurrican...

A few things to ask your TA:

- Has your TA checked with EVERY hotel down there? I know that's a big group, but it's not quite the super-busy season...

- Is he/she limiting you to just the Bahia chain? What would it take to shift to another?

- If you can shift, and can't get anything in the DR, can they try the Mexican Riviera, Costa Rica, Bahamas, Caymans etc...It's not the Mayan Riviera, but it's still something.

- Is a (short) postponement a possibility at all? This IS your wedding...

After 2-1/2 years and for 40 people, they should be exploring all possible options for you.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,751 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Please - Wedding party of 40 displaced by Hurrican...

Here's another thought (outside the box) - is a wedding ceremony off-site anywhere a possibility?

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Please - Wedding party of 40 displaced by Hurrican...

It will be very hard to find another resort that will take 40 people with such little time left. Don't know what to say, I would personally never drag that many people with me to a foreign country to get married. I would see if you can get everyone's money back and put together something back home in BC.

Medford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Please - Wedding party of 40 displaced by Hurrican...

This may require some serious footwork on your part, and some outside the box thinking, but hey, that's what I get paid for, so here goes...

Service-

Call your local catholic church ans see if you can get contact information for any of the local parishes in the DR. I believe that the DR is a Catholic country. You may be able to have your ceremony off site near the resort at a local church. I am sure that if you were willing to make a donation to the church, they would try to accomodate whatever date you might need. Also, try contacting the domincan consulate dfait-maeci.gc.ca/dominicanrepublic/message-…

and see if there ar any possible options for a local service or reception. I'm quite sure there are very few Dominican marriages taking place on a monday or tuesday, so maybe a local church, and someone who can speak both spanish and english.

Reception-

You could probably arrange a secluded area of the resort to be "closed off" to you and you 40 guests and have your own "reception". You may even be able to have a beach reception. I would think that the resort would be willing to have a private area set aside during some off peak time for 42 guests. Heck, you could arrange you own in promptu reception with all your friends on the beach at say, wednesday at 11:15 am. It's an all inclusive right, just have everyone stop at the bar and grab a bottle of champagne.

Photographer-

This may be a bit of a stretch, but try contacting other resorts to see if they have their photographer available. Or contact the photographer from your resort recommend someone else if they are not avaialble. I am suer there are people on this forum who got married in PC and could get you intouch with there photographer. Also, try posting an message on this forum for any photographers who may be vacationing nearby. I am an ametuer photographer, but I have done portraits and weddings in the past. I no longer do it professionally, but I would glady help out if I were going to be there when you were.

Flowers-

You are going to a tropical island. Flowers are everywhere. Bring some floral twine, pick some flowers and viola! intant bouquet. Be creative, I bet you could get some of your guests to help, and I am sure that people at the resort would gladly lend a hand if they knew you were in a jam.

If all else fails try contacting Bahia Principe at their corporate headquarters in spain.

www.bahia-principe.com/en/contactanos.html

They may be willing and able to help you execute some of the above suggestions. But you'll never know unless you try.

You can do this!! I'm pulling for you!! All of the arrangements should be able to be made on your own. Besides, imagine how good it will feel to have actually saved your own wedding. It will be double fun for all involved.

Hey, any of you local "experts" able to help this gal out?

Paul G.

pittsburgh
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Please - Wedding party of 40 displaced by Hurrican...

i'm going to "sunscape the beach" november 7 - 14th. we are getting married on the 10th and have 34 people going with us.

i'd look into it. it's a new resort with a high rating.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Please - Wedding party of 40 displaced by Hurrican...

Hell yea, try Sunscape the beach, seems like its wedding week already down there!

Add to the mass party crowd all ready to go!

Buy a throw away camera, I will take the pictures for a couple Rums and a shot!