We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Jackson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Money

We've read that we need to take "a stack" of $1's for tips and small change since it's difficult to get change that isn't in pesos. Any suggestions on safe ways to transport your money? Thanks ya'll!!

Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

I have a money belt that I wear underneat my sweater.Once at the resort I put everything in the safe never had a problem.Yes we do bring a lot of $1.00 and $5.00 bills for tipping.

Coldwater, Michigan
Level Contributor
315 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

For a weeks stay how many tipping dollars should you bring?

Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

I bring around $120.00 US just for tipping.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
98 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

is it better to tip in US or dominican currency?

Medford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

US dollars are best. They are the easiest to exchange and are very strong against the DR peso.

The people will appreciate every little bit you can give. I am planning to take US$200-$300 for 5 days and I will tip generously to anyone who I come into contact with who is pleasant and or helpful. These people work long hgours and don't make much money. I work long hours too, but I do make a very good living. I plan to try to make my visit as enjoyable for them as it is for me.

Paul G.

Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money

I always tip in US money.If I have pesos left before leaving i will leave it for the maid. I pay for everything in US money that way i'm not left with a lot of pesos.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money

Dont take travellers checks,unless it's in small amounts like $5.00 notes,i met a cpl who changes a $100 note and was stuck with DR currency because they said they had no US$$ at the hotel,which we know was a big lie.