We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport question for other Canadians

London
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Passport question for other Canadians

Ok so I fly out early April of next year and my passport expires end of October next year. I have asked my TA and she said no big deal for DR they don't even require a passport for entrance- is this true? I am jut not sure about it.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,881 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport question for other Canadians

She is right, the D.R. doesn't require passports it's usually the home country that does. You'll be fine with your passport. For peace of mind you can always renew it and as I understand the renewal will start at the expiry of your old passport and not when you renew. When you think about it, you're going to have to renew sooner or later anyway.

Cheers, Debbie

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport question for other Canadians

my TA is always asking me to make sure my passport is valid for greater then 6mo. and as Debbie said you will have to renew it at some point.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport question for other Canadians

No problem going on your trip in April. Renew when you get back home.

london
Level Contributor
335 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport question for other Canadians

Well try getting into the country with a photocopy. Can be done. Scary story ,,2nd trip to punta cana decided to leave my identification at home after all why would i need it i have my passport. Get to the airport no pass port my husband left it at home in photo copier two hours away. So thats all I had a photo copy of pass port and no ID .. Air Transat saved the day had a lawyer come to the airport to notarize my copy for a fee...and yes I got I through and yes i was scared on the other end....Hard lesson learned !!

Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Fredericton, St. John's
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport question for other Canadians

True...not needed but recomended.

But should your flight have to divert and land somewhere other than the Dominican, you may run into troubles/delays.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport question for other Canadians

You should be fine with a renewal for Oct and travel in April as its very close to the 6 months. If you were to renew, the new date would be five years from the date of the issuance of the new passport (ie Feb 2015) not 5 years from the expiration date of the previous passport. (Oct 2015).

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport question for other Canadians

Not all countries require the 6 month guideline with respect to expiry. For some countries it could expire the week you come back and it wouldn't matter. DR is one of the countries that do not require your passport to be good for 6 months from your travel date. I just renewed mine to make sure it was good for Jan as it expires in April and the passport office advised that it would have been fine to leave it and renew it in April prior to expiry.......

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport question for other Canadians

While I can't be positive of the exact requirement from Canada (because a passport, while recommended, is not even required) the requirements for the UK (which does require a passport) are not six months but twice the length of your stay in the DR. So if you are going to be there for one week your passport has to be valid for two weeks from the date of entry; a two week stay requires a four week validity, etc., etc.

Gregg

murillo
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport question for other Canadians

The country you are entering determines what they will allow , passport or not , with-in 6 months of exp. date. etc. Witnessed in Cuba they will confiscate 2 way radio's and return them to you when you are leaving , maybe?

10. Re: Passport question for other Canadians

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2010, 06:24