We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fake Reviews

Toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Fake Reviews

I can't tell which reviews are fake and which reviews are real anymore. There are so many bull***t ones out there and its getting old. I have completely stopped reading any reviews where the member has only been registered for 1-2 days. Any other red flags to look for?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,210 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fake Reviews

Yes. One would be naïve to think T/A hasn't become inundated with exaggerated, both positive and negative and outright fake reviews. It's a shame. I too used to be a faithful reader of the reviews now I only occasionally glance at them. If I see a review from a regular contributor, right or wrong I tend to put more weight into it.

I think the success of Trip Advisor has been both a blessing and a curse.

-Brugal

liverpool ny
Level Contributor
824 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fake Reviews

Hi Canadian: In addition to the poster not being around TA for long, I also look at the review as a whole. I have been to many AI's and only one did I say that I would never go back to. In my reivew of that place, I did take time to indicate what I felt was 'right' about the place and what could be improved and ideas as to how to improve those things. I believe that gives the review a little more credibility than just writing, " The food sucked, the service was terrible, rooms lousy, beach dirty, etc etc." I think that if a resort does not meet our expectations, we should explain why. Just my humble opinion. I guess you have to read between the lines!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,389 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fake Reviews

Hi

You may want to look at this

tripadvisor.co.uk/help/postingandediting#c0

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fake Reviews

Hi Canadian8888,

When we took our 1st ever A1 trip to the Carribean, we relied heavily on rebiews to get our bearins and foigure out where to start and what to look for. TA and Debbie's were such a wealth of info boith with reviews and posters.

I too, am felling that reviews can be misleading and decptive.

Here's what my criterias for reading a review are:

1-I look for a reviewer the has had either other reviews or at least 50 + contribution to TA or Debbies

2- i then look at the time of year the poster was at the resort. if I am looking to book during high season, then I want high season reviews, similarly for Sept. or hurricane season, I look for those dates

3- I also have a lot of faith in my fellow Torontonians or from the surrounding areas as well as fellow Canadians from other provinces. As we live in similar town, go to the same shopping centres, the same restaurant chains, the same beer and liquor stores, the tone and expectations for the reviewer are likely to be closer to mine than to a poster from eastern europe or even south florida. Now this is not carved in stone but it's is just a guideline.

I have worked in the people business for a long time and reading people and reading betwen the lines is certainly my specialty. I have zero tolerance for rudeness and for people whom have unrealistic expectations usch as "the staff did not speak a lot of english" or couldn't find Budweiser at the resort". A review from someone who mentions this to me is absolutely useless as their expectation level is no where near what mine is.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fake Reviews

Dito.....and well said miss racer :)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fake Reviews

I have learned to take the reviews 'with a grain of salt'. I agree that the age and time of year the trip was taken have a big bearing, but also the fact that it is the first, second, third, etc. post by the reviewer.

Some people expect 5 star quality from a 3 star hotel....it just ain't gonna happen people!

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fake Reviews

reviews that bash a resort and the poster claims to be a world traveler but only joined TA the day before ............and has only posted this 1 review.........

Toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fake Reviews

theracers,

Well said. Its glad to see that there are still some smart minds in my hometown - the Shwadizzle.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fake Reviews

I always look at WHAT their complaints are and how many times they have contributed to T.A. One review gave the resort a 1 star and would never go back because it took a day to get a cot in the room and the locals spoke Spanish..........imagine that.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fake Reviews

I think to pick out any individual review is ridiculous. Look at the overall body of reviews. I think they are good to pick up specific pointers on a resort but to be used to make a decision on where to go not so good. I believe many are fake made up by other resorts. If you want specific info on a certain resort send a message to a forum member who has been there.