We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling after earthquake

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
10 posts
Save Topic
travelling after earthquake

We have a trip booked for next week and I'm concerned whether we should go or cancel. Does anyone have info they would like to share. Has anyone ret'd since the earthquake hit the other end of the island? Are others still planning to go or cancelling?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling after earthquake

I'm going to the Iberostar Bavaro on January 22. I plan to monitor the news and internet for safety and take whatever I can with me to donate to the earthquake victims. Am checking with my travel agent to see what I can bring to donate and where the donation points are. I've read that in a disaster situation like this, days 3 - 5 after the disaster strikes are especially terrible because so much help is promised but it takes that long to get there and people are suffering terribly. By my count, today is day 4 and the majority of the relief is yet to arrive.

Massachusetts
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling after earthquake

Thx for your response. We are travelling on the 21st and staying at Dreams. We are also monitoring the news and when I called the travel agent they said not to be concerned it was 300 miles away. But still...it's such an aweful situation. would appreaciate any updates you might get between now when you travel. Safe flights....

Washington DC
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling after earthquake

I'm going to the Iberostar Bavaro on January 22. I plan to monitor the news and internet for safety and take whatever I can with me to donate to the earthquake victims. Am checking with my travel agent to see what I can bring to donate and where the donation points are. I've read that in a disaster situation like this, days 3 - 5 after the disaster strikes are especially terrible because so much help is promised but it takes that long to get there and people are suffering terribly. By my count, today is day 4 and the majority of the relief is yet to arrive.

new york
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling after earthquake

traveling on 22nd as well & have the same fears & concerns. another possible way to look at it is to continue to support the local economy. please keep me updated as well. have a safe trip.

halifax canada
Level Contributor
960 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling after earthquake

on cnn live. they are starting to use dom rep to land supplys and then ground transport over border as it ramps up will be using more airports in dom rep .but punta cana is a long way away

Arkansas
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling after earthquake

We leave Tuesday, Jan. 19 for 7 nights at Paradisus Palma Real. We haven't really seriously considered canceling because we do not want to disrupt the flow of tourist dollars when they are needed the most! We are stuffing our suitcases with clothing items to donate to victims of the earthquake. Of course we are heartsick at the devastation in Haiti, but we want to do whatever we can to support the economy in this area. DR is a beautiful place--do not hesitate to go here!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling after earthquake

A friend of mine was at PUERTO PLATA airport when the earthquake hit and everything was fine.As far as i know Puerto Plata was closer to the eathquake than PUNTA CANA is.

canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling after earthquake

Leaving for Excellence in 29hrs and never even considered cancelling ............I feel that going over there and supporting the economy will help more than donating 10 or 100 dollars and besides there could be another disaster anywhere in the world tommorow and who has any control over that .........Maybe im being a little selfish but i've waited a long time for this trip..... my heart and prayers go out to all citizens of the world who are going thru trying times.

Nouveau Brunswick
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: travelling after earthquake

I found some new today (date of the 14) I going too in April but Im afraid if we need health care,hospitalization or antibiotic we will not be the first to be look at and doctor,nurse will probably be very busy,tourist will not be the priority right...t just make sense....I don't know if I should cancel too,but all the agency are telling us no problem,Punta Cana is far but we will feel the impact in the resort for sure,and health care...we will travel with 2 young kids...January 14, 2010

Although the 7.0-magnitude earthquake that hit Haiti on Tuesday may have killed as many as 50,000 people there, according to the Red Cross, travel and tourism remain completely operational in the Dominican Republic, the Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism announced yesterday.

The Dominican Republic — which occupies the eastern half of the same Caribbean island as Haiti — reportedly experienced no damage from Tuesday's earthquake. As a result, the island nation's transportation systems, communication systems, tourism businesses and medical facilities are fully up and running.

According to tourism officials — which said, "at this time, no flights or group tours to the Dominican Republic have been cancelled" — that includes all of the Dominican Republic's eight international airports, all of its cruise terminals and all of its beaches, hotels and resorts.

"The Dominican Republic is making available its medical facilities for earthquake victims and is providing international relief organizations access to Haiti through the airport and seaports," the Ministry of Tourism said in a statement. "Our transporation systems, communications systems, hotels, resorts, beaches and natural environment suffered no damage here. We are grateful and with deep concern open our hearts to our neighbors and will continue to do everything we can to help them and reassure global travelers that the Dominican Republic is receiving visitors." That wjhat I got from the news web....

Nouveau Brunswick
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: travelling after earthquake

we will travel in a few wk,but Im afraid of the health care,antibiotic or hospitalization if needed....I got the new from Jan 14...We will probably feel the impact in the resort....January 14, 2010

Although the 7.0-magnitude earthquake that hit Haiti on Tuesday may have killed as many as 50,000 people there, according to the Red Cross, travel and tourism remain completely operational in the Dominican Republic, the Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism announced yesterday.

The Dominican Republic — which occupies the eastern half of the same Caribbean island as Haiti — reportedly experienced no damage from Tuesday's earthquake. As a result, the island nation's transportation systems, communication systems, tourism businesses and medical facilities are fully up and running.

According to tourism officials — which said, "at this time, no flights or group tours to the Dominican Republic have been cancelled" — that includes all of the Dominican Republic's eight international airports, all of its cruise terminals and all of its beaches, hotels and resorts.

"The Dominican Republic is making available its medical facilities for earthquake victims and is providing international relief organizations access to Haiti through the airport and seaports," the Ministry of Tourism said in a statement. "Our transporation systems, communications systems, hotels, resorts, beaches and natural environment suffered no damage here. We are grateful and with deep concern open our hearts to our neighbors and will continue to do everything we can to help them and reassure global travelers that the Dominican Republic is receiving visitors."