We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia Caribe - Food Poisoning/Dehydration

richmond, va
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Melia Caribe - Food Poisoning/Dehydration

Stayed at hotel for 6 days. BOTH myself and fiance ill after 5 days. So ill that the hotel doctor sent us to the hospital because we were dehydrated, nauseous, feverish, with diarrhea and he feared food poisoning. Hospital feared same and made us stay overnight for rehydration and gastroenteritis by giving fluids and heavy antibiotics. Next day left but not before hospital collected over $3,000 for the two of us for the stay and expenses. Hotel never acknowledged that we had been harmed by our stay. In addition to a copy of the diagnosis, copies of the bill, and copy of my credit card statement, they made us obtain two extra sets of documents ffrom the hospital. Seems they had hoped that we would give up. After six months, they "offer" us a 20% discount on an UPGRADE on our next visit! What an insult.

I will never go back to this place. The names of the people who were involved were Elizabeth Perez, Dr. Frank Reyes, and Gledwin Mills. They simply dont care that someone was harmed by staying at the Melia Caribe (as an aside, my fiance and I were apart for three days prior to our trip which meant we could not have jointly eaten something before the trip which would have made us sick on the trip - we got sick ON THE RESORT). I have traveled extensively for over 10 years and not experienced what I did at this resort. I hope all take this into account before going to this place (I have received responses to my review from other people who have gotten sick there and received the same apathy).

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia Caribe - Food Poisoning/Dehydration

Sorry this happened to you. In general, from what I've read, the hotels are very nice to guests.......once they have your money..........but if something happens to you, especially if it IS the hotel's fault (perceived or otherwise), watch the disappear.

Its a good thing to note that in many places they require payment up front, and since we dont always carry THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS...make sure you have a high Cr limit on at least one Cr card (i know of an acquaintance whose husband went to hospital in Cancun MX for ( think it was) a heart attack, and you wouldnt believe how much they had to pay up front. But they did receive great service.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Hamilton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia Caribe - Food Poisoning/Dehydration

Most dehydration is caused by sitting in the sun and drinking alcoholic drinks and not enough water. Sun stroke can also cause dehydration. It is not appropriate to blame the hotel for this.

New York
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia Caribe - Food Poisoning/Dehydration

~ I'm sorry to read about your experience. Food poisoning can be a very serious situation. And it can happen anywhere in the Caribbean, in fact it often does. Equally serious, is traveling with out International Medical Insurance. You were lucky the bill was affordable.

Feel better ...

Peace

Lea

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
richmond, va
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melia Caribe - Food Poisoning/Dehydration

Driesdog, thank you for your opinion. Dehydration is also caused by constant diarrhea for eight hours where you cannot ingest enough water to make up for it. It is also abetted by sweating because of a 100 degree fever. WE had not been out in the sun as we were sitting through a vacation club presentation. And doesnt it seem odd that TWO people had the same symptoms!

If it would make people feel better, i will capitulate on the medical insurance. I have been a Caribbean/European traveler for over 15 years and have never bought or needed medical insurance. I have a strong system and don't get sick easily. However, WE were so violently ill that both the hotel doctor and the hospital physican thought WE had salmonella poisoning. . .. not something you get from sitting on a beach.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melia Caribe - Food Poisoning/Dehydration

Hi there and sorry that you had a bad experience.

But honestly also having travelled extensively, I think you were lucky that you even got 20% discount on future visit. Personall I never would have considered asking nor receiving,

I would never consider travelling without medical insurance because you never know what could happen - including getting hit by a car, breaking a leg, etc.

Secondly, it is well knows that when travelling down south in particular it is very easy to get travellers diarhhea.....that is why many people take precautions by seeing a doctor and taking Dukoral. Food, spices, water, milk, cheese and pretty much everything is different than at home and I am never surprised when I get an upset stomache and it has happened to me also, It is a shame that the symptoms hit you as hard as they did.

Friends of our spend several days in DR hospital as well when their 3 year old was seriously ill from dehydration also. They didn't expect any reimbursement either. It is just what can happen not only at the Melia, but at any resort in the DR or in the world actually.

I know you are not happy with the outcome, but honestly I would consider yourself lucky!

Barrie, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Melia Caribe - Food Poisoning/Dehydration

if you had no insurance and no offence you are overweight(as per your pic in profile) why blame the resort. If you had food poisoning then others would have had it as well. They would have stated it in reviews but you come online 6 months after the fact and expect us to believe you. I have travelled extensively over the Caribbean for the past 25 years and have never been sick, that wasn't my fault. Did you drink the water or maybe contact a bug from the plane???

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melia Caribe - Food Poisoning/Dehydration

And if you should be unfortunate to get diarrhea, and need to replenish the water, remember to sip slowly.....do not GULP the water.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melia Caribe - Food Poisoning/Dehydration

BandBaway, I don't care if you're skinny or fat.... you could be hit with food poisoning anytime. Suggesting someone got sick because they are overweight is sheer ignorance. Sorry, telling like it is.

Be thankful you have never become ill... yet. I have been travelling since a young child and I'm almost 58 now. I too had never got so sick that some Imodium wouldn't help until last winter when both my daughter and I picked up parasites from poorly prepared/stored food at the resort we stayed at. We had been careful but were still stricken along with dozens of others. It is a horrible thing to happen and sure puts a damper on a vacation.

Just because you don't read about hordes of folks also getting ill at the same time doesn't mean it hasn't happened. The vast majority have never heard of TA, never mind writing a review or posting at a forum. I know this for a fact from first hand experience.

I also know from first hand experience that hotels never acknowledge anything wrong. It's up to you to always have good medical insurance.

The Villages...
Level Contributor
941 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melia Caribe - Food Poisoning/Dehydration

iamawfull, we are so sorry that you both were so ill. Thanks for the warning you left on our posting. May your future travels be better.

Dunnville, Canada
Level Contributor
916 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melia Caribe - Food Poisoning/Dehydration

Although food poisoning is possible anywhere, drinking the tap water or even rinsing your toothbrush can cause the same problems. Heat stress can also show the same symptoms. One has to be careful whenever they travel to the Caribbean. A great many cases of heat stress can be caused by drinking fruity drinks while in the sun, fruity drinks with alcohol increase the chances of dehydration, and these symptoms might not show up for days. To blame the resort for your illness is not always appropriate.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America