We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

avoiding food poisoning

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nj
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
avoiding food poisoning

I did read re: food poisoning issues at Majestic Colonial where we plan to go. Any advice re: avoiding this....we're debating re: changing hotels....just concerned re : all the recent reports and wondering if we should switch hotels or is there meds to take in advance to help us. My dad has some health issues...food poisoning could be very serious for him.

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: avoiding food poisoning

If you are still at the planning stage of the trip then just book elsewhere if you are concerned. Food poisoning complains really does vary, some call a slight upset stomach food poisoning after they consumed the entire bar the night before, some feel a little off colour after brushing teeth with tap water (I still get this after 8years) and blame the food. If there was a real issue with poisoning and it could spoil a holiday then I'd jut book elsewhere, but these things tend to be group activity issues mainly. Someone complains and so everyone else who doesn't intend to return to the said hotel jumps on the bandwagon and put their own hangovers down to food.

The reality is the food is usually of high enough standard at these hotels, but freak accidents do happen.

As far as meds then speak to the doctor to increase your immunity level, I'm sure he will provide you with something.

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: avoiding food poisoning

in our experiences tummy troubles are mostly self inflicted.................too much acidic juice both virgin and in drinks...................too much sun and alcohol and not enough drinking water................too much fruit and rich food at the buffet............ect ect. beware of drinks containing coconut its a natural laxative............met a couple once that were convinced it was a particular restaurant.............they had been drinking many chi chi's for days and that drink contains coconut...............

Leduc
Level Contributor
335 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: avoiding food poisoning

I am no dietician or Dr but I have traveled a bit . Never drink the water only bottled and brush my teeth with bottled water also. I will try anything on the buffet but my rule of thumb is. I Never eat the creamy salads eg potato, I hardly ever eat green salads, I will eat cucumbers and tomatoes. other veggies . My meat is always cooked really good never pink. The fruit I love is all peeled so that is Ok Pineapples, Guava, melons, I eat a lot of pasta but I will use the white sauce. I don't drink a lot of milk just in my coffee and do eat Yogurt which is good your tummy. We are early risers and are usually the first ones at breakfast and also like to eat dinner early so again everything is fresh. This year we are taking our boys and decided to take Dukoral but I believe it is not available in the USA. My sister lives there and she could not get it in North Carolina. Read any reviews on any hotel , Mexico, Cuba, Dominican. You will find people who have gotten sick.Talk to your Dr or Pharmacist they can tell you things to eat and to avoid.. and give you something in case you do get sick eg Cipro.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: avoiding food poisoning

Take acidophilus every day, it seems to really work. Also, a little restraint on the alcohol drinks and sitting in the sun, if you are not used to it.

nj
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: avoiding food poisoning

Thank you everyone for your suggestions which have really helped to calm our concerns. We are going to keep our original hotel and I will try to get some advice from our local pharmacist about meds to take.

6. Re: avoiding food poisoning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 05:18