We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

umbrellas in carry ons prohibited!

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
206 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
umbrellas in carry ons prohibited!

my favorite collapsible, non-weaponlike umbrella that i always keep in my carry on ( just in case) was confiscated by security as i was leaving PC.

thrown into a big trash bin, and surely, someone there has a new umbrella.

what's ridiculous, is they let my knitting needles through w/out hesitation!

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: umbrellas in carry ons prohibited!

Hi Stylerchick,

there was another thread about this very topic a while back and yes, everyone is absolutely sure that all the airport guys, their family and friends have a great and assorted supply of umbrellas.

One of the posters had hers confiscated as well and her hyuband grabbed it out of the airport security guy's hand and snapped it on his knee so it's useless....the security guy was apparentlly not at all happy but....

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: umbrellas in carry ons prohibited!

I started a thread about this a while ago tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k28342… since I hadn't seen anybody else discussing it and it was a surprise for me when faced with it. These things need to be brought up periodically to keep us all familiar with the situation.

The way my PUJ umbrella situation resolved itself was that I stood there saying, "what? are you kidding me?" long enough that the security agent got bored with me. It's JUST an umbrella but it has a lot of meaning to me since I bought it while on vacation to another destination a few years ago. It's a good umbrella for one of the tiny ones (they're not all so excellent, I find) and I was extremely reluctant to give it up to this airport that was acting on caprice. In the end, she looked away and I repacked my umbrella and went on through.

I just flew out of the La Romana airport last week. The item they love to take there is still batteries. I had batteries in my cameras which were fine, they just wanted the little box with 4 AA batteries, but I had 2 of those. I gave them the one box that had the Duracells that originally came in it, but the other box had 4 rechargeable batteries in it that I wasn't prepared to give them. Again, I balked, told them they could have the Duracells, and repacked my rechargeables. I don't think they'll always let you through when you brook refusal, but I'll always try it.

Kaki

Penna
Level Contributor
384 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: umbrellas in carry ons prohibited!

loved your post! way to go!!!!! :)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: umbrellas in carry ons prohibited!

We had the same thing happen to us

Just a though though let us say let us say someone on the plane had been attacked with the central core of a collapsible umbrella how many of us would be saying why was someone allowed to go on a plane with something that could be used as a weapon???????????

Better safe than sorry

Edited: 05 February 2010, 19:11
Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: umbrellas in carry ons prohibited!

Ya but they let her on the plane with knitting needles!!!!

Sounds like someone wanted that umbrella and that's it.........

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: umbrellas in carry ons prohibited!

I think that the idea about distroying something (if you can) that they don't let you take onto the plane is a great idea. At least if they won't let you take it, you know that someone else isn't going to be able to enjoy it either at your expense.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: umbrellas in carry ons prohibited!

What about all the stuff that is confiscated in our home countries????

Do we think someone just wanted that as well

I agree that the knitting needles should also have been confiscated and would ask why the person had them in their carry one in the first place

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: umbrellas in carry ons prohibited!

Knitting needles and umbrellas are allowable items at every civilized airport.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: umbrellas in carry ons prohibited!

Kaki, Puerto Plata airport used to love batteries too. I don't know now but 20 years ago they would grab every one they could. Happened both times I went there.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: umbrellas in carry ons prohibited!

I'm sorry I don't undertand the reasoning why behind that. Take away a nail clipper/nail file but allow knitting needles......that's just crazy imo!!!