We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Illness Begins with YOU!!!!!

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,899 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Illness Begins with YOU!!!!!

So...as per the norm in winter months i am reading over and over again...issues of illness.

Odd isn't it...that during other times of the year...these threads do not seem to proliferate on the threads? Could this be due to the unhealthy habits of North Americans? This is the time of year when the crowd heads south and with it...all of those nasty habits....sneezing into a hand and then picking up a utensil to serve themselves....wiping a freshly sneezed on hand all over some upholstery....the observations could go on, but probably best to leave it at that!

Add to that, the over medication of many of you...all but retiring your bodies to the the ills that lurk beyond...all in the name of high profit drug companies. Nothing like a numb body to invite foreign hosts!!!

if I remember correctly...during my past years in Canada...there were periods of time when...can you believe it...I got sick! Go figure!!!!

Now that being said...when you group together 1000 people in a specific area...if 10% decide to be pigs...then the rest suffer...stands to reason. Such is the case at a resort....1000 people eating in the same environment as the 100 who figure that a little mucus on their serving hand at the buffet should not be an issue.

So...to all of you with less that average social graces...do the rest of us a favour...order room service and stay away from the self service buffets.

The resorts... ANY OF HEM...do what they can to lessen the effects of the pigs of the world...but no resort is a god...they can do only so much...the rest is up to you.

Cheers

PCMike

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Illness Begins with YOU!!!!!

Well Said Mike!

Wishing safe and happy travels to all,

bb/mt

FL
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Illness Begins with YOU!!!!!

Good general advise ...

But its not that simple with norovirus as goes airborne when large confined outbreaks occur. Hence why Cruise Ships have such a hard time dealing with the Virus.

Not to gross people out but virus that remains in the air for some time after projectile vomiting/diarrhoea.(Also if untreated sewage is going into the sea its a problem)

Ontario
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Illness Begins with YOU!!!!!

Mike,

I think you nailed the real problem when you referred to over medication, and antibacterial everything, as well as purified water. Its fair to say that people place blame in the wrong place. Quite simply, when you go to a different country and eat different foods and drinks than your body is accustomed too, you have a chance of a bad reaction (diarhea, vomiting, etc.). I can speak from personal experience, I drink only purified water here in Canada, and I seem to have challenges in that department every time we go away whether it be Mexico, Dominican, or other parts of the Caribean. We are planning to go to PC in March - planning to try Dukarol (sp?) this trip. (yeah I know lol more medication)

Robb.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Illness Begins with YOU!!!!!

Well said, Mike!!

St. Albert, AB, CAN
Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Illness Begins with YOU!!!!!

I agree Mike - I think people rush around prior to a holiday, burn themselves out and then get to a resort and get ill by partying. Its like reading all those emails people send you about alarmist stuff like don't eat onions that were cut the day prior (got that one recently) and such. Go enjoy yourself take vitamins and eat and relax. Fear mongering does no one any good. Its just like the reviews where one person says the food at one resort was awful then the next person says it was amazing! Its all about balance. Just because the booze is flowing no need to have 6 prior to dinner. I don't do that at home or on a holiday - just plain silly. You can't please them all!

cheers

dutchgirl

Canaan, Connecticut
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Illness Begins with YOU!!!!!

Good info. Happy to report this soon to be senior citizen still takes no medication unless you consider an occasional Jameson's medication.

pcmike or anyone down there, is there any buzz in Punta Cana about what's going on in the Dreams-Natura Park area? Do you see this situation being a little more unusual than the norm?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,899 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Illness Begins with YOU!!!!!

Actually I am not attributing blanket illness in the case of a resort to over consumption, but generally to the poor habits of a few (10%) of guests who could give two craps about anyone but themselves. I see you all the time. This is not solely a Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous destination...but an everyday destination with a big cross section of demographics...including those who's social graces ended at the age of 5.

The other thing is that for most (90%), the issue that go along with the poor personal standards of a few, never amount to much...but for the other 10% ( just like home) they amount to the end of the world.

here is my forecast....next February we will have another resort or closely relate group of resorts go through the same thing...but given our era of "we forgot what happened last week" mentality...we will again...in a year...predict the doom of all in Punta Cana!

BTW...I have picked up 14 guest from Dreams PB over the past 3 weeks....no illness...so what gives???? Huh...go figure!

Cheers

PCMike...telling it like it is...live from the source....nothing to gain and everything to loose!

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Illness Begins with YOU!!!!!

Whatever, I can certainly say that I always wash my hands and followed all of your guidelines. I stand by my statement that I hvae been to plenty of AIs and to the islands and on cruises and have never had a sickness issue until this year. Is it the resort? I don't know. But to just assume that the posters are self-indulging or somehow not taking care of themselves is also one sided as well. Obviously its a balance of the two factors at work.

FL
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Illness Begins with YOU!!!!!

Its not just Punta cana

Its the whole northern hemisphere that has seen a Norovirus outbreaks.

Barrie, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Illness Begins with YOU!!!!!

I agree Mike, and to add one more point. Some pick up a virus when at the airport or on the plane and then inadvertantely spread it to others at their resort.