We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

Just curious about tipping in Punta Cana. We have never been to an all inclusive. Do we tip for every drink, how much. What about the maids and the buffet? Do wee really need to gat dominican pesos or is us cash ok?. Thanks!!

halifax
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

you ll get a million replys on this and 2 million opinions :) The maids my wife usually leaves a dollar and a couple little gifts each day/ We probably tip evry second drink and a little better if they are serving us from across the lobby or on the beach. Always tip at meals and you ll find the waiters meeting you at the entrance to make sure your in thier section :) We have always tipped the person we thought made a difference to our holiday a little more the day we are leaving and maybe some years that didn't happen..that tip was based on how much we had left over :) but sizeable in our world maybe $30-50?? depending. I believe from asking workers they prefer American dollars to peso's for tips NEVER Canadian or coins. IMHO.......a $1.00 tip for a drink is normal and a $5.00 tip at dinner i s good for a good server. We usually take $50.00 in US $1.00 bills and they won t make the week for sure . I m thinkin the more I m drinkin the looser I get :) I t6hink it's fair to say these are not rich people and niether are we but they do really enjoy thier tips and need them to survive. Enjoy!!

Edited: 20 February 2010, 21:37
St. Marys, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

I take approximately $100. in U.S. dollars down there for a week. I have just returned and found that I used $10 - $12 per day. Our maid did a great job and we were leaving $2. per day on the pillow. Also we left $1 in the fridge every day and it was always full of beer, pop and water, remember the person restocking the fridge is often not the person who makes up the room. I tip occasionally at the bars on a daily basis but not always. In the restaurants you can leave money on the table which will be shared among the staff or give directly to the person at the grill if you like their service. I always give a bit to some of the gardeners during the week because I know they don't usually get any tips and may be lower paid than anybody else at the resort.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,659 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

halifax is right, you will get a million replys and 2 million opinions and even some arguments. Just type in "tipping" in the search box above to see the already one million replys...lol.

Please remember that it takes more than a room maid and a bartender to make your vacation spectacular, those grounds don't look like that on their own and neither do those beach bathrooms, beach area...... etc. etc.

Cheers, and have a great vacation.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,659 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

Try this link....

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/SearchForums?ff=28&geo=147293&scope=2&q=tipping&s=+

Cheers, Debbie

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
453 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

yes tipping can be a personal thing, 2-3 dollars a day for the maid, i like to tuck some in the fridge for the fridge filler,depends if its everyday or everyother, but a dollar tells them you still remember them. I take about 100 one dollar bills and something i will leave some pesos upon leaving that I have left in my pocket. i never thought to tip the gardeners but this trip I am going to. if I have to say what I tip and day it is anywhere from 15 to 20. Still a very good deal for an all inclusive.

canada
Level Contributor
683 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

I feel that one should not have to ask another on whether to tip or how much to tip. It's an All-Inclusive resort, which means that one is not required to tip, but if you wish to, then give when you feel is appropriate to do so, and give an amount that fits within your budget. There is no need to let anyone know the amount of a tip that you were to give someone!

Yulee, Florida
Level Contributor
517 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

Tip the maid everyday because if you wait until the end of your vacation you may find that the maid that was cleaning your room at the beginning is not the maid doing it at the end. Also you may have 2 maids, one in the morning and another who comes in to do turn down service. We usually leave the morning maid $3.00 and the evening maid $2.00, and $1.00 in the refrig. $5.00 at dinner is good, and $2.00 for breakfast and lunch. Everyone is working long days, many days in a row and the tips are greatly appreciated.

Toronto
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

- I usually tip cash whenever I receive great service ... I like to tip the gardeners as they work so hard in the extreme heat... One time I gave an unopened baseball in a box to a gardener & bartender & they absolutely loved it - it made their day...

Of course I will bring cash to tip on my next trip, but I was also thinking of bringing some Sammy Sosa Rookie baseball cards this time around

toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

Tipping is such a wonderful word. A word created to make everyday human beings feel warm and important. would any of these tippers tip at Tim hortons or Mcdonalds. No!. they tip on vacation because they have been fooled into believing that these workers are on the verge of poverty. tippers are naive people who probably also believe in the fairytale of Jesus and god. its funny - we tip taxi drivers/waitresses but dont tip contractors or other skilled workers. we seem to only tip those that dont require any education. its pathetic when you think about it.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

What a useful and well-thought-out contribution to the question at hand, Rockford.