We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Babe Browning Lotion

brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Maui Babe Browning Lotion

Hi all:)

If any of you guys are looking for an INCREDIBLE tanning accelerator/ browning lotion then maui babe is the way to go. I was surprised that it has not really been mentioned much in this forum, i searched for it and found posts from 2005 so I figured I might as well bring it up for anyone who doesn't know about it.

I have been using this browning lotion, along with the after sun lotion for about 5 years now and I swear by it. They both make your skin incredibly soft and you get amazingly tan even when wearing over 30 SPF. The browning lotion contains mineral oils, kona coffee extract, aloe and vitamins. The original formula was very greasy, but over time they have changed it to avoid this and it still works beautifully. The lotion also smells like coffee which is interesting:)

The back of the bottle itself says to wear over 30 SPF sunscreen. Usually when I go away, I tan for a month at the tanning salon, wear 50 SPF my first day on vacay (with no maui babe), the second day I wear 30 also with no maui babe and then from that point on I start wearing it over various levels of SPF. ONce you have a dark tan, you can always use it by itself. They also make a tanning salon formula that is safe for tanning beds even though I've used the outdoor one in the tanning salon with permission from staff.

I am putting the link to the website with all the info and how to order, it is a little pricey there, but you can get it from amazon and other places, I even saw it at my local Duane Reade last summer so it can definitely be found.

http://www.mauibabe.com/

Again, I could not recommend this product more. Hope this helps everyone out who is looking for new accelerators/browning lotions!

-Chelsea

brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Babe Browning Lotion

also, this is not a stain or self tanner whatsoever, if it does get on your clothes or bathing suits, it washes right off no problem and does NOT stain your skin or hands a funky color.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Babe Browning Lotion

I love this stuff! Have used it for the past 5 years now! Thanks for bringing it up! I love the way it smells too!

First found out about it on a trip to Boca Ratan Florida!

Happy Travels!

bb/mt

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Babe Browning Lotion

thanks, chelsea...I'll have to check this out...now, if someone would just make a lotion that would keep our tans longer than two or three weeks after we return! LOL

Old Bridge, New...
Level Contributor
496 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Babe Browning Lotion

Sounds good..........will have to see if I find it here, but since you said its in Duane Reed in Brooklyn, then I can probably find it at a DR in the city also if I cant find it in Jersey.

Thanks for the tip!

moorhead, mn
Level Contributor
500 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Babe Browning Lotion

do you get the 8oz bottle? if so...how many do you go through on a week vacation?

just curious cause i am thinking about buying it!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Babe Browning Lotion

I got a pretty good deal on ebay this morning. You might want to check them out also! Just put Maui Babe in their search box and several choices came up. I got the one called Maui Babe Weekend'er Beach Pack. Each bottle is 4 oz each. Its the Browning Lotion, their SPF and also their After Sun Lotion. My next trip is either March or April and I think this will last me a week.

Happy Travels!

bb/mt

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Babe Browning Lotion

KEWL!! Thanks for the information...

Baltobabe....I was thinking EBAY also.....great minds think alike ;)

brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Babe Browning Lotion

I didn't know this but on the site it says that the browning lotion has a shelf life of 5-6 years and I still have 8 ounce bottles left from years before because my mom thought she had to keep replacing them haha and I do get the 8 ounce bottle and it not only lasts me my entire week vacation but usually through the entire summer. The lotion really spreads, its not like suntan lotion that your skin literally eats it up so you don't need a lot. Mind you, I also keep reapplying after I swim and it still lasts me that long. Usually when I order, I order 2 8 ounce bottles but I usually never have to go into the second one. If you are going to be sharing with a boyfriend or husband though then one bottle probably wouldn't last you all summer lol. Also, the after sun lotion runs out, I go through 2 8 ounces from the time vacay starts through summer just because it really, really helps your tan last and your skin feels like silk after, I even use it in the winter:)

Edited: 23 February 2010, 23:14
New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Babe Browning Lotion

chelsea - does it cause any discoloration on your hands when applying it?

Thanks!

brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Babe Browning Lotion

I couldn't agree more nj2pdc, if only could invent something that could prolong my tan more than just a few weeks after vacation or the month or maybe two months (and that's pushing it) that it lasts after summer. Everyone looks better tan and I get so pasty during winter, only 31 more days until DR sun!

and you also asked about discoloration on your hands and nope, none at all. It's not like accelerators with self tanners that is you don't run to the ocean or pool and wash your hands off then you're going to have rings around your fingers, you can just apply it, sit back and relax;)

Edited: 23 February 2010, 23:20