We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Answer to Robbed at Secrets.....from the Resort...

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Answer to Robbed at Secrets.....from the Resort...

The following information was sent to me this afternoon regarding the post..Robbed at Secrets with a machette......

Please feel free to ask any further questions ,but be assured all is well and the resort is very safe and secure

ready for romance and relaxation........

See you in January

Terry

"This is the very exaggerated, sensationalist, and confused version of a very unfortunate incident that took place here last Saturday, when some guests left there balcony doors unlocked and later re-entered to find an unidentified man rummaging through their belongings. The surprised intruder threatened the guests, took a few items and then fled. The local police, who have been investigating the case, now have a lead. This is the first such incident that has occurred at this hotel and, as a result, has caused us to increase our resort security and take additional precautions to avoid a similar event recurring in the future. There is no need to be alarmed. Our resort is currently filled to capacity and we have no reports of any of our guests being the least bit affected by this unforeseen occurrence. It is important to realize that much worse happens on a daily basis in many large city hotels in other countries, including the USA."

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Answer to Robbed at Secrets.....from the Resort...

Thank you SB!!!!

And I'm glad that the management has responded and acknowledged what happened!!

Very professional of them!

I knew it was sensetionalized.. like most unfavourable things on this forum.. Nature of the beast.

Thanks again!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Answer to Robbed at Secrets.....from the Resort...

Thanks for getting the answers we had to our questions straight from the management . This does not stop me from packing .

Great job as usual Detective S.B.

Sandybeaches
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Answer to Robbed at Secrets.....from the Resort...

It's funny they hadn't mentioned anything about the robberies 2 years ago.

Medford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Answer to Robbed at Secrets.....from the Resort...

They don't mention that because it is irrelevant. Two robberies in two years is a remarkably low crime rate. I live in one of the nicest communities in the country. We rarely lock our doors and crime is almost nonexistent. The next town over was recently rated the best community in America by fortune magazine.

Both of these communities have higher crime rates than Secret's in PC, even on a per capita basis. I feel sympathy for anyone who is a victim of any crime. But this place is about the safest place in all of the DR. Enough with this already. You are stastically more likely to get robbed at your own home, or local grocery store than at Secret's.

Paul G.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
452 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Answer to Robbed at Secrets.....from the Resort...

That is great to hear a response from management! It makes me feel better to know they are addressing the problem and not sweeping it under the rug. I totally agree with Paul - the chances of being robbed at Secrets have got to be next to nothing. I'm sure it has happened - and I'm not too naive to believe it can't happen again, but it shouldn't stop any of us from going and having a good time. Please don't live in fear! It is no way to live!

6. Re: Answer to Robbed at Secrets.....from the Resort...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2006, 01:41
Medford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Answer to Robbed at Secrets.....from the Resort...

I did not even notice the first time I read the resorts's response that this actually happened while I was there. I heard no mention of it from any other guests. If this was such a big deal, it would have spread around the resort like wildfire. Again, I HEARD NOTHING, and I was there Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Paul G.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
132 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Answer to Robbed at Secrets.....from the Resort...

Hahahaha- "spazoid"

Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Answer to Robbed at Secrets.....from the Resort...

islandtravels... so now you are claiming your "Incident" happened at Secrets? In past posts I was SURE you mentioned it happened at another resort.

If you are going to make up stories, please stay consistent, there's nothing worse than someone who forgets their own lies.

Glad to know Secrets management handled this professionally, however I wouldnt have expected anything less from this top notch company.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Answer to Robbed at Secrets.....from the Resort...

I love the resorts spin on this !

"This is the very exaggerated, sensationalist, and confused version of a very unfortunate incident that took place here last Saturday" =

Two guests got pi$$ed off because someone tried to rob them. They went to management pi$$ed off and management thinks they, the guests, are confused. If management came out when it happened instead of it coming back to them through the grapevine (internet). That's is when it looks bad. It has the ear marks of a coverup. Another poster mentioned he was there and heard nothing about what happened. Doesn't management have a responsibility to inform their guests that a crime, has been committed so their guests could be a bit more vigilant? I would guess management did not want to cause a panic or , perhaps, dim the star shining over Secrets.

"suprised intruder = thief caught in the act

"unforseen occurrence" = entering without breaking

"It is important to realize that much worse happens on a daily basis in many large city hotels in other countries, including the USA."

Duh , you mean there is crime in the USA. What, no other country with big cities where "much worse happens"? Doesn't Germany, Spain, France , Colombia have big cities with maybe one or two criminals?Hmmmm , with all the Europeans staying at Secrets why did management use the USA as it's example!

Nowhere in the above statement does management say; Sorry . I guess a "sorry" would show liability and then mean they would have to make repairations for the guests.

Sorry this happened and it probably is an isolated case but CYA when you are in a foreign country. Most of us have seen horror stories of people being victimized while on vacation. Anyone for a cruise off the coast of Africa ???

Peace!