We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what do u think i better mexcio or punta cana?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
what do u think i better mexcio or punta cana?

going to the dom rep. punta cana for the first time this year instead of our annual mexico trip . just wanted to find out what are the difference pro s and cons of those two for people that have been to both

thanks

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
893 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what do u think i better mexcio or punta cana?

We have been to Dom.Rep twice ( Riu Merengue in Puerta Plata & Grand Palladium in Punta Cana)& Mexico (Riu Caribe in Cancun ) once.We love both & have booked to stay at the Iberostar Punta Cana at Xmas . We hope to return to Cancun next year. We are both in our 60's & from our point of view the Dom.Rep is great if you just want to chill out & enjoy the beaches & sunshine. There are plenty of trips to go on if you want to. The resorts we have stayed are huge (2/3 hotels next to each other ) so you can usually use part if not all of the facilities at each hotel during your stay.Hence there is plenty to do.

Mexico (ie Cancun ) was totally different. Again the beaches are lovely & so is the weather.The hotels are fairly central so you can get to the shopping malls easily,if you want some retail therapy, either by walking or on the local buses.There are plenty of sightseeing trips etc to go on & oh I almost forgot-the nightlife!As I say we are over 60 but we really enjoyed visiting the fabulous clubs (Senor Frogs, Coco Bongo etc) and thats one reason we are hoping to return there next year.

So its horses for courses really. If you just want to chill out then I would try Dom.Rep but if you want to shop til you drop or dance the night away then try Cancun (but we wouldnt go there when Springbreakers are about -too noisy for us pensioners). Either way Im sure you will have a great time. Tel

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what do u think i better mexcio or punta cana?

Depends on where in Mexico. I don't like the beach in Cabo and don't like Cancun. I love Punta Cana but my new favorite is Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
860 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what do u think i better mexcio or punta cana?

M311...I was the same as you.We had been a Mexico vacationers for the past several years. This year we went to Punta Cana. The previous poster stated most of the highlights of both areas.The 2 places are very different. The D.R was definitely a more 'relax typ'e vacation.This year I did miss hopping on a bus for 60 cents and going shopping, people watching, clubs,restaurants, meeting friends. I could have gotten a taxi in PC.. but just wasn't the same. On the other hand the beaches were much more tropical and beautiful in Punta Cana.Had the weather been nicer during our stay,,we would have been in heaven!! In Mexico if there had been a non-beach day, we hop on a crazy bus and go somewhere~anywhere off resort for the day. We found both the Mexican and Dominican people very friendly and kind to us northerners. The PC airport wins hands down. If you have specific questions feel free to message me.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what do u think i better mexcio or punta cana?

I'm off to Catalonia Royal Tulum in May. I'm expecting a different vacation than in PC. The comparison will be interesting since both properties have many similarities.

Generally speaking Punta Cana was a "lazy" vacation. Our Mexican trip will be packed with things to do offsite since we are going there for cultural/historical reasons.

We had a wonderful time in PC and will return someday. Try to book a tour with PCMike. His tours will really enrich your stay.

chicago
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what do u think i better mexcio or punta cana?

punta cana if your a beach person hands down

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what do u think i better mexcio or punta cana?

Hiya,

The beach in the PM is by far the best and the weather is slightly better too in January/Februari.

So I always end up going back to to the Punta Cana but I must admid that I liked the food better in Mexico and I loved all the creatures on and around the resort (then again for soem that is not a bonus:)

Amy

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
866 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what do u think i better mexcio or punta cana?

Our first trip to the DR was in 2001 and we fell in Love with it. We met a family on the beach that said they didn't like it as much as Riviera Maya. The next year we went to Rivieria Maya and enjoyed that too. .Since then, we have been back to Riviera Maya one more time and now this year we are heading back to the DR. So..I"m anxious to compare after our trip this year. But... I always loved the atmosphere in DR better...more tropical, laid back..I felt a sense of "peace" while seating on the beach.. However the food in Mexico I always thought was better quality...not a huge deal though.

~Angie

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what do u think i better mexcio or punta cana?

I think it may be hard to compare sometimes unless you've stayed at every single resort in Punta Cana and Maya. There are so many differences in properties and beaches at both destinations. That's why it is very important to research and look at photos to find what suits you best.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what do u think i better mexcio or punta cana?

Very hard to compare - we love both. We love the beach in Punta Cana, but prefer the food + drinks in the Mayan. I agree with Margadagio that the comparison is more between the resorts, versus the destinations.

moorhead, mn
Level Contributor
500 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what do u think i better mexcio or punta cana?

punta cana hands down...

better beach

better food

better service!

you just don't get the sunsets...:(