We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at a la cartes at Ambar

Rochester
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at a la cartes at Ambar

What is the proper etiquette with tipping at a la cartes? Needed?

Thanks

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at a la cartes at Ambar

not sure I would use the word "needed" because tipping is something you should do because you want to, not because you need to. It's always appreciated, though.

Can't speak specifically of the a la cartes at Ambar, but I typically tip $10 for a la carte meals at AI resorts.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,222 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at a la cartes at Ambar

$2.00 for breakfast, $2.00 for lunch and $5.00 for dinner. But everyone is different. Tipping is the right thing to do.

glasgow
Level Contributor
587 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at a la cartes at Ambar

I would not tip for using a buffet to be honest. Maybe give $5 for dinner where there is more of a service.

But then we brits have never had the same tipping culture.

northwest ontario
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at a la cartes at Ambar

I usuallly tip $1 for buffet breaky and lunch, I may give more than that if I'm remembered or served refills without having to ask. Dinners I usually tip $2 to $5 again depending on service.

I feel A La Cartes deserve bigger tips because the meal and service are usually better/fancier.

It really does depend on how you feel you were treated, not just at resorts but any where.

I have had waiters and waitresses take my arm and guide me to a section that they are working. I like to think that it's my manners that make me popular and not the $$ I leave on the table, LOL, whatever the reason it's nice to recognized when you walk in.

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,301 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at a la cartes at Ambar

BoRap,

I agree precisely with Poozieny. Tipping IMO is for outstanding service that exceeds ones expectations.

Feel the same about tipping at the buffet - the servers at all of the buffets at the Bahia have always been outstanding IMO !

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Moncton NB
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at a la cartes at Ambar

Brooklyn: I was just going to send an email to book my a la cartes and I was wondering what type of food do they serve at the Brazillian and Spanish restaurants...would you recommend?

thanks

Pam

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,301 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at a la cartes at Ambar

Pambuddy

you have selected the only two a la cartes I personally have never dined at. Many other posters who have been there tend to rate these two a little lower on their list of favourites from what I have read, although the Brazilian does rate a bit higher than the Spanish.

Our favourites are the Don Pablo. The Bella italia (the Italian at the Esmeralda). Garden Grill for steaks, Maiko (Japanese) and the IL Capriccio (Italian) and we always leave times for the buffet - especially on Gala night !

I hope this helps.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Johnson City, TN
Level Contributor
453 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping at a la cartes at Ambar

Is Gala night always the same night of the week or does it change? Just wondering as we are going to try and pre-book dinner reservations and I would like to leave this night open.

MD USA
Level Contributor
185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping at a la cartes at Ambar

Has any one been to the Brazillian Restaurant who could share there thoughts

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping at a la cartes at Ambar

My boyfriend leaves $3 to the maid every day and he gives $3 at the A-la-Carte Restaurants and he tips the waiters/waitresses here and there.

As for me, I give money to the people who I believe probably don't get lots of tips, that is the cooks, the gardeners and the Animation team. Dominicans are extremely appreciative.....I'm sure anything you give them will be greatly appreciated!