We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Majestic elegance- Ready to book, but afraid of the food...

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Morganville, NJ
11 posts
Save Topic
Majestic elegance- Ready to book, but afraid of the food...

Out of all the hotels in punta cana, or anywhere else for that matter, this hotel seems to satisfy every requirement I had. Beautiful beach, incredible rooms, and a lot of activity. However, I've read so many bad reviews about the food, and people getting sick, I am starting to second guess this place.

To anyone who has stayed at this resort, can you comment on the food? are these reviews just overblown?

Thanks

Nj
Level Contributor
846 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Majestic elegance- Ready to book, but afraid of the food...

We stayed at the sister resort next door last year (Colonial) and found the food to be much better than expected. Only one person in our group of 10 had some stomach upset.(much better than our trip to Mexico where more than half were ill)

What it really comes down to is not the resort but staying in the Carribiean in general. Because people are in a new area of the world, eat new foods, eat more than usual, and spend the day drinking in the sun....stomach upset occurs.

What we do when we travel is keep well hydrated, don't over eat, watch the booze and avoid eating uncooked food (especially salads). That seems to work for us!

Edited: 18 April 2010, 19:16
glasgow
Level Contributor
587 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Majestic elegance- Ready to book, but afraid of the food...

I think many of the reported cases of food poisoning by people are not. The latest poster states he became ill with food poisoning after 3 days and was ill for only 24 hours. I would bet that was either over eating, drinking, sun or a gastro 24 hour virus.

When many people are ill the first thing they say is it's the food.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Majestic elegance- Ready to book, but afraid of the food...

The food was plentiful and adequate. I wouldn't say the food was good, but I didn't have particularly high expectations of AI food. It is what it is.

I did not get sick. That said, I didn't eat much fin or shellfish because the seafood I did have wasn't fresh, and I practised common sense at the buffet (i.e., observed the bake it/boil it/peel it rule, don't eat dishes that have to be kept piping hot or well chilled, and don't eat from dishes that have the serving spoon handle dropped into them). The a la cartes were of course better than the buffet.

This is not a foodie's vacation, but that doesn't mean you can't find something to eat for a week, and I don't think you have to avoid the resort because of fears of sickness. I did pack gravol, lomotil and oral rehydration salts, though. I have had food poisoning (elsewhere) and I can tell the difference from overindulgence. It doesn't hurt to exercise caution and be prepared.

Enjoy!

toronto, ontario
Level Contributor
268 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Majestic elegance- Ready to book, but afraid of the food...

I just returned days ago from the Majestic Elegance and had no food issues at all, in fact, quite enjoyed the food! Yes, some meals were better than others but I definitely gained a few pounds! It's a great resort, don't think you will regret booking it.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
137 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Majestic elegance- Ready to book, but afraid of the food...

I too have stayed at the Majestic Colonial before, and just booked the Elegance for late May....

I thought the food at the Colonial was more than fine for buffet, and the sit down meals were great. Always a good amount of choice, and order as much as you want!

That said I wouldn't travel to anywhere and not bring Immodium... but I am a girl who lives to prepared for anything! LOL!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Majestic elegance- Ready to book, but afraid of the food...

Another happy customer here when it comes to the food (and everything) at Elegance. Ate everything with no illness.

-Brugal

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Majestic elegance- Ready to book, but afraid of the food...

To be fair to the ME, the others in my party really enjoyed the food. I'm in the minority, it seems!

Nova Scotia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Majestic elegance- Ready to book, but afraid of the food...

We stayed at the Majestic Elegance last year and liked it so much we went back this year, had no stomach issues and always found something to our liking to eat. Woudn't hestitate to recommend it to anyone, would go back in a heartbeat.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Majestic elegance- Ready to book, but afraid of the food...

Just booked with Majestic Excellence. Did quite a bit or research.........I would challenge anyone to go through the hotel reviews and not find folks who hated a resort that you loved.

It's all subjective and you just can't please some people. Also, take a look at how many posts some of the people who have made very negative reviews have made overall. Sometimes it seems pretty fishy.

From all I have seen and all the kind folks I have spoken to, you will love the resort.

Cheers,

Jay

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Majestic elegance- Ready to book, but afraid of the food...

I stayed at ME last year. I do not remember anyone getting sick. People need to also remember they are drinking alcohol; and coconut (which is in a lot of the drinks) is a natural laxative. My personal opinion is that the breakfast & the a la cart dinners were good. I really liked the Japanese restaurant. I did not like the lunch buffet by the beach. But this resort is beautiful, service was great, and beach was beautiful. I so believe this, that I am returning on June 3. This time I booked the Elegance Club. I will have other breakfast & lunch options that I hope will solve my minor complaint.