We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's it like flying with Thomas Cook?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What's it like flying with Thomas Cook?

Hi. Could anyone pleas give me any tips on flying with Thomas Cook. What's the flight like? Is the service ok? I have booked a vege meal- am I likely to get it?

Also, do they provide drinks throught- or shall I buy my own?

In flight entertainment?

Also- should i book seats in advance?

Sorry - so many questions.

Thanks

ARB9

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
37,302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's it like flying with Thomas Cook?

Hi arb9,

Firstly before I answer any of your questions are you flying economy or Premium then I can give you all the info you need.

Also what dates are flying as inflight entertainment changes at the end of this month.

Angie.

Edited: 20 April 2010, 16:25
London
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's it like flying with Thomas Cook?

Sorry. I'm currently booked into Economy but may think about Premium if there are seats left and worth the extra money.

Also flying from Gatwick on 19th May- well hopefully!

glasgow
Level Contributor
587 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's it like flying with Thomas Cook?

I have to be honest and say we flew to Barbados with them last year and the seats in economy were the narrowest and hardest I have ever had the misfortune to sit in. Overall service was good, staff, food.

I would never travel in economy with them again as Thomson do it so much better and would suggest upgrading.

Just my view.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's it like flying with Thomas Cook?

Right economy is not too bad now as legroom on Thomas Cook flights have been increased to 33" from last year on long haul flights. Service can be a bit slow as there are so many passengers in the economy cabin.

Yes if you have booked a veggie meal you should get it as they will ask for yourself to be made known to the cabin crew.

In economy you have to pay for all your drinks its only premium that get free drinks.

Inflight entertainment as I mentioned I cant tell you what films will be showing as the films change on the 1st of May.

Yes its a good idea to book seats in advance then you know for certain that your party will be definately sitting together. So many people prebook seats that you will be given whats left by the airline.

Here are photos of the two cabins.

Economy.

www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php…

Premium.

Here is seat plan of the aircraft.

seatplans.com/airlines/Thomas-Cook-Airlines/…

Thomas Cook Premium upgrade.

Speedier check-in through a dedicated desk

30kg baggage allowance

Priority aircraft boarding

Dedicated cabin with fewer seats and more crew

Wider, leather covered seats for additional comfort and more personal space

Complimentary personal care kit

Sparkling wine on boarding

Complimentary bar service throughout the flight (excluded Champagne)

Upgraded menu with a choice of main course for your main meal

Personal headsets for you to use while on board

Complimentary newspapers on return journey.

Hope this helps if you need any other info just get back to me.

Angie.

London
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's it like flying with Thomas Cook?

Thank you. That's perfect. At least we know what we're in for!!

Thank you for your help once again.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's it like flying with Thomas Cook?

Wow angelina, great post, thank you, I am also flying with Thomas Cook end of July and was wondering about pre booking seats, possibly in premium but my partner wants us to wait until we get the airport and try and upgrade them.

Not sure what to do for the best really.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's it like flying with Thomas Cook?

Hi sassyblue3,

A word of caution if you are thinking about upgrading when you arrive at the airport, all Premium seating gets to be sold very quickly well in advance of departure dates so I would'nt rely on any seats being available to book in Premium on arrival at the airport. You will be a one unhappy couple.

Angie.

Flitton, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What's it like flying with Thomas Cook?

Your message

Hi - My husband and I flew with Thomas Cook to cancun last year from Gatwick in their standard economy seats. I recommend that you pre book seats- when you do this you can see the plane layout and choose the seats towards the back of the plane - where they are only 2 seats wide, and you won't have a stranger sat next to you and you get a bit of privacy. The legroom was fantastic, better than BA or Virgin!. Although you have to pay for your drinks, these will be nowhere near the price of the upgrade. Entertainment was OK, although you have to buy the headphones - £2.50 each I think. Overall - I was dreading the 10 hour flight - but it was fine , went in a flash! As for upgrading at the aiport - forget it ! when we prebooked ours 3 months in advance, all premium was sold out! Also, as it was a daytime flight outward, no pillows/blankets etc were provided - but as soon as I asked they were happy to go and find some for me.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What's it like flying with Thomas Cook?

If you want to book the twin seats at the rear of the plane, do it asap.I took the advice of another TA member and booked yesterday. My daughter and I are not travelling till 19th august and already 5 sets of the 10 twin seats have been reserved. It cost £64. for the return trip. At least I can relax knowing we will be sat together in our own little space !! This is our first holiday to the Dominican Republic. and we are staying at the Iberostar Bavaro......thanks to everyone on here for all the invaluable advice.

Edited: 21 April 2010, 19:44
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's it like flying with Thomas Cook?

The back of the plane is better as each side goes from a 3 to a 2 for the last 6 or 7 rows, you can clearly see this when you pick your seats on the web-site. This is perfect if you are traveling with your partner.

They do get booked up quickly, but deff worth it if there are 2 traveling together, then you are not stuck next to a stranger for a long flight....LOL

You pay extra for seats together, then a bit extra for picking "your seat your choice"

The Thomas cook service, drinks and entertainment is all on a par with other airlines.

I would take your own head-phones with a 2pin plane adaptor as the cheap ones they sell on the flight are a bit naff.

Cat

Edited: 21 April 2010, 20:09