We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OMG!!! They speak Spanish in the DR!!!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
147 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
OMG!!! They speak Spanish in the DR!!!

Ok, I'll admit that I didn't try very hard to learn Spanish before I went down to Punta Cana but I did print off a cheat sheet of phrases and such prior to going. I tried to use my extremely limited amount of Spanish and the staff at the Cat Royal used what English they knew. What I didn't know I conveyed in gestures or some other such means of trying to get my thoughts across and so did they.

I find it appallingly arrogant of some people who complain because the staff at a resort IN ANOTHER COUNTRY do not speak English. Funny, I don't see anyone complaining about the staff not knowing German or French or Chinese or Russian or......

How sad......

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,079 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OMG!!! They speak Spanish in the DR!!!

oh, goodness. this topic has been discussed extensively.

here's a link to a good one, if you want to catch up with where everyone stands on this issue.

http://tinyurl.com/y75wxku

canada
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OMG!!! They speak Spanish in the DR!!!

hahaha...I agree drideout...BUT maybe the reason we don't read the complaints about the people in DR not speaking these other languages is that we cannot read the reviews in these languages lol.

I take a cheat sheet..and a travel size english to spanish dictionary..

can hardly wait to get home again..lol. maybe it is time I put more effort into actually learning spanish.

a friendly smile and hand gestures have worked very well for us in our many trips down..

Cheers

Lynn

Ottawa
Level Contributor
147 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OMG!!! They speak Spanish in the DR!!!

Sorry, just read a review where this was specifically mentioned and it got my dander up....

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,079 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OMG!!! They speak Spanish in the DR!!!

I hear ya. I just read a review that raised my bp a few points. For the NH Royal Beach, entitled

"They roped me in with a promise unkept; don't let this happen to you!"

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OMG!!! They speak Spanish in the DR!!!

Pooz....I'm with ya on that one. I will never understand, as long as I live, why people can't just book and pay for the room they want from the get go. Now it's the resorts fault that this person wasn't upgraded for free. Hummmm...

another vacation ruined by the resort. Shake head side-to-side.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,079 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OMG!!! They speak Spanish in the DR!!!

So I sent the reviewer a private message saying basically just that - that if you want the ocean front room, book and pay for that room. And, that you get what you pay for. Requests are not guarantees, etc. You would not believe the rude response I got. So, I'm kind of not surprised because the reviewer is not a nice person. Period. (oh... and they've now blocked themselves so you can't comment on their review or send a message... or maybe they just blocked me... lol)

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OMG!!! They speak Spanish in the DR!!!

Typical reaction from that type of person!!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
147 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OMG!!! They speak Spanish in the DR!!!

Prior to going down, I emailed the Cat Royal and requested a third floor room overlooking the pool. The manager said he would try to accomodate me, based on availability and I was happy with that.

With the poster I was talking about, they stayed at the Cat Royal and was mad that the staff didn't speak English or "pretended not to"....amazing. *sigh*

London
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OMG!!! They speak Spanish in the DR!!!

My standard language is english but I am pretty good with spanish but what I found and I am not sure how many people this will help but since some of the people working on the resort are haitian or come from close to haiti alot of them speak french so when in doubt try french if you can that might be a good middle ground.

Probably better for us Canadians but I guess you never know.

halifax canada
Level Contributor
960 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: OMG!!! They speak Spanish in the DR!!!

i just wish i could speak as many as they can .