We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sad ending to renting a car...

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Sad ending to renting a car...

I woke up today at 6.00am after a long night of insomnio, and when I pick up our daily paper, the first news I read is about the sad ending of an american toursit renting a car, and a bus full of tourists.... So I quickly though of my friends at Tripadvisor.....

www.diariolibre.com/noticias_det.php…

(you can btranslate with babelfish)

The two occupants of the car, a northamerican man (43) and a dominican woman (22) were killed on a dangerous intersection at Yuma.

Over 10 tourists travelling in the bus (coming from Saona excursion as far as I've been informed) were badly injured and rushed to Hospital.

I wonder if that unfortunate person ever had the chance to read any recommendations on NOT RENTING a car, unless of course really neccesary......

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sad ending to renting a car...

Before this topic ends up being closed.................... I want to take the chance to say first of all that I am posting this TO WARN ANY FUTURE TRAVELLERS, THINKING ON RENTING A CAR.

I trully believe that our advise can actually save someones lifes......

Also, Im posting this because:

1) its travelling related, because it involved renting a car

2) its tourism related, because it involved tourists

3) Its Punta Cana related and thus belongs to the Punta Cana forum because it ocurred in the East region, and all injured were toursist staying at Punta Cana

Edited: 28 April 2010, 12:28
2. Re: Sad ending to renting a car...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 April 2010, 12:41
Edited: 28 April 2010, 12:41
New York
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sad ending to renting a car...

Oh, my goodness… How Tragic …

Monica, Thank you once again for posting very important information. Your membership here on TA is valuable and worthy…

My thoughts, prayers and good wishes are with all those involved and their families.

We’ve driven in DR and while we have done well, it is not an easy task…

Thanks again for the information…

Peace

Lea

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sad ending to renting a car...

Thanks for the heads up Monica. Very sad indeed!

Not sure why this would be closed. Also confused about what happened to the lemon post yesterday since I thought that too provided useful information. Anyone want to shoot me a message about that one?

-Brugal

New York
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sad ending to renting a car...

Here is the correct link

http://www.diariolibre.com/interstitial.html

Peace

Lea

New York
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sad ending to renting a car...

# 2 ...

I posted the link for you .... opps.... saw you closed your request

Edited: 28 April 2010, 12:45
Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sad ending to renting a car...

I too was surprised about the lemons thread, but I'm afraid that if we talk about that over here, in this one, chances are that this one will be closed too..... and it would be a real pitty that more and more threads about importatn information, keep on being deleted premanently.

This renting car matter can be life saving if you think about it...

I feel for that poor couple, and it has kept me wondering if the driver was ever warned about the dangers of driving here.....

Please guys........ lets not get this thread closed, so its avaliable for others to read.....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sad ending to renting a car...

I totally agree with you Monica - very important information that each future traveller to this area can digest and make a more educated decision regarding getting behind the wheel of a vehicle whilst in Paradise.

Thanks once again my friend for taking the time to share.

Leigh xoxo

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sad ending to renting a car...

Noticias SIN has a little more information and a slideshow.

www.noticiassin.com/www/index.php…

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sad ending to renting a car...

Thanks Monica. How very sad. It's a good reminder about driving in any foreign country for that matter as road conditions and rules are different than our own.