We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balancing resort time with touring

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Level Contributor
403 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Balancing resort time with touring

Cut and pasted from another forum where I somehow posted this.

“ Balancing resort time with touring ”

May 07, 2010, 11:25 AM

Hi everyone. We will be arriving in PC in just over two weeks for a weeks vacation. We are truly looking for a week of relaxation and fun coupled with some excursions. .

For those of you who participate in excursions, has anyone found a good balance of downtime:excursions?

Right now I basically have every other day with some type of excursion. I was looking at the Sanoa Island excursion but would end up with tours for three straight days and didn't know if that was too much.

Currently we have an outing to Jellyfish restaurant (not really an excursion but it is on our travel day so we'll be wiped out after), PC Mike's 1/2 day tour and Mike F's minibuggy.

Any thoughts?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balancing resort time with touring

Hi Colleen,

When we travel we too are looking for relaxation !

Last year while in PC for one week, we found our tour with PC Mike and Tropicla Storm Trip to be the perfect balance for us. This year we are booked for The Boca de Yuma Tour with Mike, and have left the rest of our time open to whatever comes our way !

Have a great vacation !

Sheryl

Edited: 07 May 2010, 19:57
calgary
Level Contributor
415 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balancing resort time with touring

No matter what you do, there won't be enough time. After being there twice, both being one week duration, next time I will try to do 10 days at least. The first time we did 2 full day and 1 half day trip and then the second we only did 1 full day trip and 1 half day trip and then parasailing just outside our resort. There was still lots of relaxation time, but before you know it, it's time to leave.....crap!!

Debra

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Balancing resort time with touring

Colleen,

i would say 3 consecutive full day excursions is too much on a just 1 week stay. there has to be time for that famous Tan and all the funny drinks at the resort, ha ha.

right, there's never enough time on one vacation, that's why we always go again and again and again.

iam right now on a 3 weeks stay and i know it will not be enough,

so after a few days home i will bring the Mrs for some more days over dominican mother days weekend end of the month.

i decided life is too short and too valuable to waste too much of it on Work, lol.

cheers

Mike, the Godfather

PS:

since today I love Hockey!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
403 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balancing resort time with touring

Thanks everyone.

Mike, since today, I dislike Germans! Well, just the German hockey team :-). Actually, I like hockey but it is far from my favorite sport. Still, North Americans should always win in our sport.

I always struggle with overbooking. That island just looks SOOO beautiful, but I think it will definitely wait until the next trip.

BTW, my cousin said she emailed you. We will confirm the number some time next week.

Life is too short.....good for you for taking the Mrs especially since, if I remember correctly from another post, you'll be at the same resort as us :-)

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Balancing resort time with touring

on our honeymoon to Hawaii we booked to many excursions, and while we enjoyed them I regret not spending more time on the beach and in the pools at our resorts ( 2 wk trip, 2 resorts) in fact I hardly remember if we got in the pool or sat on the beach more the a few times. ( now it was a while ago) since we restarted traveling ( after kids and disney) we have been on 8 AI trips and have only had one excursion and that was on the last trip and the excursion was with PC Mike, highly recommend his tours.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
403 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Balancing resort time with touring

thks Sukie

We really want a mix of downtime and excursions. I don't want to pay for an all inclusive that I never use so we are going to stick to what we have.

We have

Sunday (Jellyfish restaurant)

Tues (PC MIke)

Thurs (h2o Mike)

I figure if we really feel it necessary, we can add something there but I'm going to concentrate on packing and stop worrying about scheduling.

Although, I REALLY would LOVE to do the SAONA ISLAND excursion

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Balancing resort time with touring

Personally, I find two or three excursions to be enough. I definitely wouldn't want to do more than three. However, I expect this is a question that has as many different answers as there are people!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Balancing resort time with touring

colleencass, maybe you're different from some (most?) travelers and would be fine with getting out and about so much. If there are things that you want to do, you're wise to consider this question, but in the end if you want to do it all, do it and then decide later "yeah, it was too exhausting" or "it was exhausting, but we're glad we did it!"

There is a line of balance for sure. I know that we're all different and some of my favourite people are happy to take a cab from the airport for 20 minutes and then stay at the resort for their whole vacation to return to the airport at the end and call it a visit to the Dominican Republic. If you want to see it all and are aware of what you're up against, have at it! Some of the tours offer down time so you can rest mid-day, between doing fun and exciting things. You don't get quite so tired then.

My favourite Saona Island tour is with Seavis Tours out of Bayahibe. They will pick you up in Punta Cana. You can read about their most popular tour at http://www.seavisbayahibe.com/Saona_e.htm and you can read their reviews at tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g663484-d1… I have done it a few times, and have an album of pictures at travel.webshots.com/album/577077144nIIgGY With that day, you get lots of time to enjoy the beach (they stop at two different ones with a couple of hours at each). You can snorkel at an extremely healthy reef and you also learn about the history of Saona Island and the culture of the Dominican people. When I did a catamaran tour to the island, it was great and made me want to return, but it was far more like taking a boat to another beach that was like the hotel beach. If you're going to invest in a big day, I'd personally want to do something that's going to be a little different from what I can do for free back at the resort. There are tours that offer an alternative so keep your eyes open for them. If you want to snorkel at a healthy reef, you can't do it on a catamaran excursion.

Have a wonderfully full and exciting and relaxing vacation!

Kaki

Connecticut
Level Contributor
403 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Balancing resort time with touring

Thank you, Kaki. That excursion looks breathtaking!

i do really enjoy hanging out and am looking forward to the downtime, but I also really enjoy seeing what the country is all about. I know I can only get a bit of it through guided tours, but it is more than I could see without them :-)

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Balancing resort time with touring

ha ha ha

Colleen,

i started yesterday night to love Hockey, he he.

yeap,

your cousin Marianne(now that's a real typical ole fashioned German name, i have at least 3 aunts named Marianne, really) contacted me and i pencilled them in the list for the same group with you.

and careful with Germans:

that Minibuggy Adventure Tour of Yours is run completely by Germans, aside of 1 person who helps out sometimes with transfers even the transfer drivers are germans, the tourguides are also germans and of course the mechanics are germans, we would not let a non german mechanic lay hand on engines or equipments of the Buggies, lol.

so be prepared for a warm welcome "Guten Morgen, wie gehts?" etc, ha ha.

don't worry,

some Germans are smart enough and know about some different languages, you will be guided in 100% english tour of course.

after the tours you booked you will never think about Saona Island again.

btw,

the healthiest alive corals/reefs/fishies grounds of the whole north caribbean, not just Dominican Republic, are located here in Punta Cana, stretching fromCabo Engano to south of Cap Cana, protected/taken care of by the Punta Cana Ecological Foundation.

of course no excursion is allowed to bring snorklers or drinken sailors party boats to the spots.

where excursion outfitters bring visitors in the water for business the reef and underwaterwildlife SUFFER, everywhere, specially around Saona Island. nobody can tell me that it is possible to bring beginners in groups to snorkel over/aside/around/near a coral reef and they do 100% not touch anything and 100% not make any movement with fins which wirls up sand what btw kills corals by strangling them.

the only ones who will finally survive are the ones closed for businesses.

Saona Island is since decades the ex-living/Dead example for stupidity of menkind. of course it is not the only place, but on this Island it is the biggest place of all the destroyed ones which will never recover again.

happy touring

Mike