We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What SPF did you bring to PC?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What SPF did you bring to PC?

We'll be going to Majestic Elegance early July. This will be our first time going to DR. We've only been to Cancun and while there, we'd usually start with a SPF 30 and then work down to a 15 & lower so we could still get some color. Does anyone know if the sun is even stronger in PC?? Is a higher SPF reccommended-maybe a 50? I do want to protect myself from burning at all costs, but at the same time, want to get some color.

Would love any feedback! Thank you!

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What SPF did you bring to PC?

Hi again jo4481,

Depending on your skin and considering that you will be going in July, the sun is very hot. When in Cancun you start with a 30spf and work your way down.

what time of year were you in Cancun?

We as well do the 30 for the 1s couple of days and down to 15. When in PC in Spet. 09, we brought Ombrelle 45, 30 and 15. We used the 45 for the 1st 2 days and did not even get hint of tan so we switched to 30 and everything was fine. We are both naturally dark skin and neither one of us burns.

Bring it with you and try it for the 1st day, again july sun will be at it's peak.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What SPF did you bring to PC?

I use Ombrelle also (best stuff ever). I use different SPF for different parts of the body - for chest and shoulders I stick with the 45 as I tend to burn very easily. I bring a 30 for the rest of me and then go down to a 15. I never go below a 15 and find that Ombrelle 15 gives much better protection than something like Banana Boat in a 15.......

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,843 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What SPF did you bring to PC?

Banana Boat 4 for me from day two onward

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What SPF did you bring to PC?

Wow, an SPF 4 - lucky you! I use La Roche Posay 60 on face and chest and a 30 on the rest from day 1 to the last day. I still get a very good tan, but any lower than that and I'll get blisters/sunburn for sure. We've travelled to both the Mayan Riviera and Punta Cana in November and Feb/March and found the sun just as strong in both places.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,843 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What SPF did you bring to PC?

Just returned from the blazing sun and 34C to 36C temps in St. Lucia, no burn and I used banana boat 4, while the Warden used Ombrelle 15 spf all week and neither have any burn.

Ontario
Level Contributor
268 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What SPF did you bring to PC?

We take 30, 15 and 8. Start at 30 applied often for the first 4-5 days then work down to 8 for the last 2 (we go for 2 weeks), however this is in December when it's technically the start of winter there (boy I love their winter) and we spend a lot (if not most) time in the shade, except when walking the beach, after a swim to dry off etc.

Oh, and dont forget to take at least spf 30 for your lips, nothing worse than burned lips.

Edited: 18 May 2010, 13:06
Boston
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What SPF did you bring to PC?

I bring 30 and 15. I tend to stick to 30 for the first 2-3 days and ANY time that I am playing volleyball since I tend to lose track of time when I do. After that I use 15 unless I find myself pinking up. :)

Kate :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What SPF did you bring to PC?

Thanks everyone! Now I just have to hope for at least a few sunny days in my 7 days that I'll be there. Tropical storms have decided to follow us the last 2 years when we have gone to Cancun-hoping this year will be different!!!!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
403 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What SPF did you bring to PC?

Used 30 and 50 in key west last year and still burned. I am so hoping to get a tan and not a lobster burn in PC

Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
507 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What SPF did you bring to PC?

I started with 50 and gradually went down to 15 by then end of our 6 day stay. I went home white. :( I am a light freckled gal so I was being safe.

I did see many red/really pink people, who may have been hurting later. I guess better safe than sorry? When I go back (1/11) I am starting with 15 and will see what happens.