We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about reservations and room assignments

Boston
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Question about reservations and room assignments

Does anyone know how this works?:

I made all my arrangements months ago for a trip in October. I booked everything online and got confirmation numbers and flight itinerary. But, I keep reading on here, in the numerous thraeds about requesting specific rooms, that the resort usually doesn't have your information until a week or less before you arrive.

So, how does the room get saved? How is it that if they have 500 rooms, they know that they have triple booked them on the same week? Is it that they get a count of how many rooms and what class of room have been booked as they are are reserved and get the specifics closer to arrival?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
403 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about reservations and room assignments

In most hotels, even if you book through a central reservation, the hotel has the booking info but doesn't transfer the specific information over to the dept. that assigns room until just before the dates.

If you book through a wholesaler or travel company, I think they confirm your dates with the hotel holding a room for you and then transfer the reservation from their system to the resorts a few weeks prior to arrival. Even then the ressie still has to go over to the room assignor

Did that make sense?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about reservations and room assignments

Yeah, that makes sense. I figured it must be something like that, otherwise a hotel could get a thousand reservations transferred over from different agents and site on any given week.

Maywood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about reservations and room assignments

A Hotel may have 500 rooms but they divy those rooms up among various whholesalers that get different allotments of rooms (some big guys may get 25-50 rooms while another only gets 2 or 3. some don't get any, they are a request only basis) Each wholesaler has to report bookings per their contract as well as release the allotment at a certain time. This also helps the hoteliers keep track of who booked at what rate. For example, a wholesaler may have one rate today and then the hotel give them a special rate a month for now. Before they sell that special rate they are required to report who has booked previously at the only rate...that is usually how it works.

hope that helps

4. Re: Question about reservations and room assignments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2010, 07:18