We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hovercraft?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Hovercraft?

We just returned from Barcelo Bavaro and noticed these 2 "hovercraft" type flying boats (reminded me of Back to the Future). On my 2 future visits to Punta Cana I never saw these vehicles on the beach, but I stayed much further North (Breezes and LTI).

Are these new or have they been around for a while?

They were a lot of fun to watch!

Coastal Maine
Level Contributor
177 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hovercraft?

The amphibian ultralights fly out of the area by the Barcelos on Bavaro beach because the water is much calmer than further east. The 1st time that we saw them was in Feb 2005 while staying at Barcelo Bavaro Caribe. Still haven't worked up the courage to try them yet.

Dave and Di

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hovercraft?

Wow, I am surprised to see they are that old. They look brand new. It was fun watching every new person on the beach stop and stare when they were overhead.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hovercraft?

This was the first year we noticed them - boy do they ever look cool! I need to work up some courage for next year so I can try it.....

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hovercraft?

I went on one of these in Cuba. If you are talking about what basically amounts to an ultralight attached to a zodiac.

It was pretty cool, couldn't believe how high up we went. Landing in rough water was a bit scary though.

Interesting to hear you say how new looking these are, the one in Cuba was not "new" looking at all which added to the scary factor!!!

Cheers,

Jay

5. Re: Hovercraft?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2010, 07:15