We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with dolphins

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Swimming with dolphins

Hi all, I will be going to Punta Cana in November '10, with three of my friends. Can anyone tell me which dolphin excursion is the best? Manati doesn't seem to get very nice reviews, am I misunderstanding or is there a different place to swim with them?

And if anyone can request a resort, that would be wonderful as well. Four woman, 40's and like to dance and have fun.

Thanks all

ontario
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming with dolphins

Please do a search on this topic. No one on this forum will be helpful with this, as no one here supports these types of atrocities to such beautiful creatures.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming with dolphins

I'm sorry? I am asking for opinions, obviously you have your own and I Thank you for that. But I highly doubt that everyone on TA has the same opinion. And if everyone on here had the same opinion, why is it listed in "things to do"? Thank you again

ontario
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming with dolphins

Okey doke.

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming with dolphins

These wild creatures are forced to do something totally unnatural for them which is to interact and do tricks with humans-these are not your Goldens/Labs these are wild animals forced to please humans. Try Seaworlds Dolphin Cove in Orlando-they will sell anything!!!!

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming with dolphins

I meant Discovery Cove not Dolphin-opps!!!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming with dolphins

buzzy

If you Google swimming with captive dolphins I think you well see why so many people are anti it

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming with dolphins

Please take a pass on the dolphin excursion, truly deplorable conditions. I agree with Starrygirl you will be hard pressed to find anyone on these forums who supports it - put it in the search function and you will see for yourself. In any case, the decision is up to you.....

As for a resort, I would take a look at the Majestic Colonial - beautiful pool, gorgeous beach, very good food for for an AI and really nice rooms.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,769 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming with dolphins

Although I am not in support of it, some are speaking on behalf of all, which is a bad thing to do. Stating your own opinion is fine, but please don't represent me as well.

Fact is, for all the tours in the area, dolphin encounters remain one of the top draws, thus not even close to "almost everyone" feels as some of us do.

To the poster, I think it best that you read the reviews for the encounters and from that you get a pretty good feel for what is a better experience for both.

Cheers from under a dark cloud in Bavaro

PCMike

London, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming with dolphins

Oh believe me I understand where people are coming from, but in my opinion one is not as bad as the other. I seen in "things to do" in Punta Cana one being dolphin and then seen another. I have read some of the posts, and I do see that one gets not nice reports.

I have swam with dolphins 2 times before and it was an enjoyable experience, one was in concrete tanks and one was in a natural area. The natural was definitely better. On neither occasion did the dolphins look sick and mistreated. I thank everyone for their opinion and I thank you vienemo for your help as well.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
116 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming with dolphins

my wife and her sister both did the Dolphin Explorer and they loved it

I posted a review

I just watched because I could care less about swimming with dolphins

all the other people on the tour loved it