We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning Punta Cana...1st time family vacation

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need help planning Punta Cana...1st time family vacation

We are a family of 4 (2 adults/2kids aged 10 & 8) from Orlando, Fla.

We're planning on taking a Punta Cana vacation during Xmas this year.

Please advise of all "Must Sees/Must Dos" in DR and the best place to stay that is kids-friendly/with lots of family-oriented activites.

Thanks.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning Punta Cana...1st time family vacation

Christmas is a busy time in the D.R. so make sure you plan your trip and book early.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning Punta Cana...1st time family vacation

What do we book?

Where do we go?

Need help with accommodations and places to visit/things to do/things to see with kids/family of 4.

thanks.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning Punta Cana...1st time family vacation

There are so many great resorts for kids and families. It's all going to start with your budget. I would choose a "package" deal which will include your airfare, hotel(probably all-inclusive), and the trasnfers to and from the airport. In WI we usually go with "Apple Vacations" or "Funjet" in your area there might be a different preference. If you go to the Apple Vacation or Funjet website you can look up features, pricing and flight schedules right there.

Toronto
Level Contributor
193 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning Punta Cana...1st time family vacation

I'm trying to decide between one of the Dreams properties or the Melia. After fallowing this board these seem to be the best ones for the kids clubs. I like the no reservations needed at the Dreams properties.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning Punta Cana...1st time family vacation

Top Family Resorts would include:

Ocean Blue/Sand

Reserve Section of Paradisus

Dreams Palm Real

Grand Bahia

Must sees and do's are the beach, pools and relaxing.

Cheers, lance

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help planning Punta Cana...1st time family vacation

Any sightseeings? Monumnets? Cultural stuff?

Knoxville TN
Level Contributor
339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help planning Punta Cana...1st time family vacation

Punta Cana is known most for relaxing on its majestic beaches. Yes there are excursions you can take (zip lining, scuba, etc) but none that I have found to be "must-dos". Although I hear good stuff about the scuba trips.

Punta Cana is my vacation of choice if all I want to do is enjoy the beach. I'm literally on the beach palapa hut from 6am - 6pm when I go there and all I do is RELAX...........and eat/drink. Since it is all-inclusive, this is the type of vacation where you enjoy 100% effortless relaxation. So find a resort with a great kids club to get your kids occupied and you and the wifey can bask and relax under the caribbean sun the rest of the time.

No need to try to venture outside your resort because you really are not missing much.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help planning Punta Cana...1st time family vacation

Any sightseeings? Monumnets? Cultural stuff? --- if you want that stuff take PCmike's Tour.

Cheers, Lance

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help planning Punta Cana...1st time family vacation

There is PLENTY to see and do outside of the resorts in Punta Cana! (if you can be bothered to leave your beach chair ;-)

Punta Cana Mike's tours are by far the best for sightseeing - http://www.freewebs.com/puntacanamike Be aware that in the high season the tours book up months in advance due to their popularity, although he now has Dominican Dave onboard to share the load.

I'd also recommend the Segway tours by Segway Caribe - great fun for all ages plus you get to see and swim at some gorgeous beaches that are on private property - puntacanatv.com/segway-eco-tours-in-punta-ca…

Green Discovery run a couple of eco tours around the grounds of Punta Cana Ecological Foundation. One on horseback the other by horse n cart. You can read more about them here puntacanatv.com/green-discovery-eco-tours.ht…

Some very good family focused snorkeling & catamaran and buggy tours can be found here http://www.excursionscorner.com (the kids will love the Xtreme buggies)

Have fun in Punta Cana!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help planning Punta Cana...1st time family vacation

And best suggestions for family with kids in terms of accomodations?

Any all-inclusive, kids-friendly, safe resorts you'd recommend?

thanks for all the suggestions thus far.