We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fake silver at the market

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leduc
Level Contributor
335 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Fake silver at the market

Just a warming to everyone who goes to Punta Cana the market on the beach close to the Iberostar and the Ocean Blue. We were there

with our boys last February and both 2 "Silver necklaces" They have the stamp on them. We are not new to traveling so did not pay a zillion dollars for them But I thought that if they were stamped silver they had to be silver???? Also we were told they were and with the stamp half believed them...

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fake silver at the market

so yopu found at home a professional who found out they are not real silver?

silver is down here on the island so cheap, you get genuine silver necklaces from $1.- ahead, plus the value what is hanging on them of course, like a larimar or ambar thingy etc.

silver is so cheap that it is not worth to get sold as something faked.

most plastic made jewlery is on the market worth much more than simple silver.

and i like that fact,

because myself and the Mrs prefer from the style/design/looking silver much over the snobby pompy gold or platin.

cheers

Mike

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fake silver at the market

I don't quite get your point. Do you think you purchased "fake" silver? Why?

Miguel

Leduc
Level Contributor
335 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fake silver at the market

I know it is fake as the color is coming off.. No not tarnished it is pinky/copper color where ever it has rubbed on the links.

Daytona Beach...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fake silver at the market

I am sure there are fake stuff and real stuff too.. I bought jewelry at those same beach vendors and I got just what they said it was... more than a yr later I am still wearing my jewelry and it still looks nice.. an example is I bought sterling silver earrings with a pink stone... $10. they look as nice as the day I bought them and I wear them alot.

I love buying from those vendors!

england
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fake silver at the market

Hi there

It's not the silver you ought to worry about, but the "Dominican Jade" We call it "Plastic" in the UK..Lol

Happy Hols

Sparky

Leduc
Level Contributor
335 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fake silver at the market

I know we have been to Dominican 5 times and bought off them before. I bought a couple beautiful Larimar necklaces from a hotel jewelry store. I am just warning people to be careful. Because these had stamps and I thought if it had a stamp it had to be real...

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fake silver at the market

Sorry of your misfortune with your jewelry. I am always so skeptical about buying jewelry on the islands but on our very first trip to the D.R.(in the 80's) my husband bought me some sapphire earrings at the hotel gift shop for $123.00. I had them appraised when I got home and they appraised at $583.00. I was pleasantly pleased but I became paranoid about losing one.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fake silver at the market

When I read your post I thought "Oh!" but then when I got to the part about the links, it made me wonder where the mark was. Maybe you know this already, but for those who don't...

In more than just the Dominican Republic (meaning including North America), if you buy jewelery that is stamped, it is really only the piece that is stamped that's asserting the silver or gold content of the entire item. For a necklace or bracelet, that means that if you get the stamp on the part that closes the necklace (called a "finding"), it's really only saying that the finding is silver but it doesn't mean the entire necklace that is attached to the finding is silver. It's not always a bad thing and not necessarily intending to mislead, Sometimes a leather thong or other material is attached to the finding and you are ensured a strong piece holding your necklace together. The same rule applies when you may buy a faux gold attachment glued to a 14 kt gold earring back. When you see that the earring back is stamped, that doesn't necessarily apply to the entire earring. This works well for people like me who can't wear nickel and other earrings that irritate. I can then buy costume jewelery, knowing that the post through my ear won't irritate. It's not intended to allow vendors to lie to customers!

But you really have to know what you're buying so you aren't left with something that ISN'T what you thought you were buying. In an exclusive shop in Canada I bought an Italian Silver bracelet in my youth. It was beautiful and shiny...until it stopped being shiny (therefore no longer beautiful either). It ends up that Italian Silver meant that it was rhodium plated. Even with my quality bracelet, once the plating started coming off, it didn't look like much.

I hope that most of the vendors in the DR--and North America--aren't lying about the pieces that they're selling. Make sure when you ask if something is silver, you say "sterling" since that actually means what we're trying to ask. But as with everything, buyer beware and take a bit of knowledge about what you're buying with you. I personally wouldn't go to buy a car alone and I'm actually uncomfortable buying cuts of meat too! A loss of $5 - $50 is unfortunate but may be a learning experience for the next time.

Kaki

new york
Level Contributor
293 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fake silver at the market

We had the same experience. My husband bought a nice silver chain necklace claiming to be real sterling silver and even had the number imprinted yet it is now a copper color that does not clean with silver cleaner. It's definitely a fake. Oh well, you live, you learn.

england
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fake silver at the market

Phew ..

Glad it doesn't apply to the UK....In the UK as long as every piece that is attached to the hallmark is solid. IE no open links..All welded.

Then the Hallmark applies to the whole item. makes life easier.

Sparky