We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Distance Calls from US to Punta Cana

San Diego...
12 posts
Save Topic
Long Distance Calls from US to Punta Cana

I've heard that there are only normal long distance rates from the US to Punta Cana for phone calls....but international rates apply for calls from Punta Cana to US......Is this true?

And secondly, if one were to call from the US to the hotel, will the hotel transfer calls to the room you are in? Would additional rates or fees apply?

Level Contributor
426 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Distance Calls from US to Punta Cana

Not sure how much I can help here but will give my 2cents worth anyway...;)

I called Punta Cana from Canada....10 minutes cost me about one dollar...

However, calling collect from Punta Cana to Canada was a fortune...$45 for 12 minutes!!!

Learned my lesson good there....next visit we used the calling card sold at the hotel 22 minutes for $20US.

I'm not sure if the hotel would charge extra for connecting a call, but even if they did, I'm sure if would not be as much as calling home collect.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Distance Calls from US to Punta Cana

If you are calling to the DR, the price will be whatever is charged by your long distance carrier. You can give them a call and ask for the rate. There are two area codes in the DR: 809 and 829. I have changed to a company which gives me a rate of 5 cents a minute for my calls to the DR instead of my default phone company which has now finally dropped their price to about 18 cents a minute. It may be the same price as a call to India or Mexico, international or domestic, but I know that it's more than I'm prepared to pay! Your calls from the DR home will most likely cost more than a call from your home to the DR. For staying in touch with home, I recommend sending an e-mail with your room number once you arrive and tell your family or work or dogsitter or whoever you need to talk to what your daily schedule is. They may call you at 8 a.m. or 4 p.m. when you think that you will be in the room and available. If you bring a laptop and have the internet in your room, you can send an e-mail saying "call me now!"

The hotel will definitely transfer the call to your room and there's no charge for receiving calls.

You can also expect to meet the grief of not being able to make a collect call. I was trying to call the phone number provided by my medical insurance company to commence a claim as instructed but then ended up having to dial direct because collect calls were not possible from the hotel. The price was about $0.50 a minute dialing direct.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Distance Calls from US to Punta Cana

AFAIK incoming calls are not charged.

4. Re: Long Distance Calls from US to Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2010, 06:16
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question