We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving to Punta Cana

Punta Cana
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving to Punta Cana

Once you arrive to Punta Cana International Airport you will disembark the plane and you’ll be directed to the terminal building. On entering the building you will have the opportunity to have your picture taken for purchase on departure. As you enter the immigration hall you will need to purchase a USD$10.00 tourist card. One tourist card must be purchased for each person entering the country including children and infants. These must be paid for in USD$ cash. It is best to have the exact money with you, as often there is no change. Please be aware that there are no

ATM’s, money exchange or bank facilities at this point and credit cards are not accepted.

After purchasing the tourist cards, proceed onwards to passport control. You will need to hand over your tourist cards and passports to the immigration officials and your passport will be

checked and stamped. After passport control you will be directed to the baggage claim area. The belt number’s where you luggage will appear are displayed on screens inside the baggage claim

area. Trolleys are available at this point. Once you have collected your entire luggage you can precede to the customs area.

After clearing customs you will find porters available to assist you with your luggage, be ready to tip for this service. As you exit the terminal building you will see all travel agency reps and taxi drivers.

Have your travel documents handy and look for your transportation company. Some may have your name posted on a sign or just get a deal with a taxi driver. Make sure to see the posted rates at the taxi driver booth.

Welcome to Punta Cana!!!

Carpentersville...
Level Contributor
290 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving to Punta Cana

Okay, so I just read your thread and everything happened just like you said up to the customs area. WOW, I remember collecting our luggage and walking right out the doors. Never seen anyone, never talked to anyone just found our Apple rep and got on the bus.... So, either I was really tired and just don't remember, or we did something wrong. Nonetheless, maybe I should go back and clear customs.... : )

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving to Punta Cana

Great piece of information for first timers. We will be going to PC for the first time this November and looking for all the necessary information to make the trip easy. As we have been to many other islands this is a first as to seeing an "entrance fee".

Thanks for the great post

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,283 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving to Punta Cana

Great post yes Shagum but I do have a few questions:

1. Is there a way around "having" to have your picture taken, I know there are many that actually dislike this almost "forced" procedure?

2. A LOT of tour operators already collect the $10 US from travellers ahead of time and is inlcuded in package deals. Can you tell us why, if you have to pay it there, that is MUST be in US dollars, why not pesos, which IS the local currency? Why is it required that people from all over the world have to use US dollars for this procedure, same with departure fees.

3. You say trolleys are available, but have found in the past that you are not allowed to take them past the area where all the porters are waiting to "take" your luggage. Can you let us know if this is really a "rule" at the PC airport, other airports allow tourists to use their luggage carts beyond that point?

Cheers, Debbie

Edited: 15 July 2010, 19:08
Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving to Punta Cana

You can use peso's for departure tax, its about 800peso's. This being said I should think you would be able to pay pesos for arrival.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving to Punta Cana

"3. You say trolleys are available, but have found in the past that you are not allowed to take them past the area where all the porters are waiting to "take" your luggage. Can you let us know if this is really a "rule" at the PC airport, other airports allow tourists to use their luggage carts beyond that point?"

Good point Deb, its the pits you can only use this trolleys for like 50m! Might as well let the porters enter the terminal and help you sooner!

J.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,283 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving to Punta Cana

Actually, the porters ARE now allowed right up to the conveyor belts, at least the last 3 times I was there.

I really needed one the last time, but that's not the point is it.

Cheers, DEbbie

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
995 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving to Punta Cana

When we arrived at PC we got off on the tarmac and a guy noticed my hubby walking with a stick .. he went and got someone with a wheelchair .. I do not know who he was but we were so grateful. When the guy appeared with a wheel chair we sailed through everything .. straight past the photo thing .. we already had our tourist cards so it was straight to passport control .. where again we sailed through, he got our luggage off the carousel and helped us to our bus .. it was wonderful..... and to top it off he shared his coffee werthers with us , lol .

ontario
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving to Punta Cana

I HATE having my picture taken. I never ever let them. Just say no gracias and go around them.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,283 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving to Punta Cana

It's not so much that I dislike the picture taking, I've had it done many times. My beef is that this past year they now line you up on the tarmac like cattle, wait, wait, wait, and wait, till the photo chicks are ready for you, then you are marched up to them.

I found a very small entry opening last time to avoid them and had three screaming "ladies" yelling at me saying NO NO NO NO you can not, you must do photo !!!

The second last time people were having fun with it and although they didn't know the other people they were posing with the wrong partners as they didn't want their picture taken either. Not much of a protest but at least they had fun.

I think the picture taking fiasco should be a choice and not MADE to seem like a requirement.... besides they only keep the pictures out for you if you've only been there for a week, the rest are put away and takes forever to find them so I have given up for that reason also.

Cheers, DEbbie

Phffffft.

Edited: 16 July 2010, 00:09
Etters, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving to Punta Cana

Oh I cannot agree more! I am already tearing at the bit just to get thru immagrations and customs, so now you are telling me I have to wait in line to get a picture taken and purchase a tourist card beiore I can even get my passport stamped????

What a load of crap!

And I have to pay to leave the country also???

Sighs, If I didnt want to sample winter weather in another country I would have just kept going to Mexico.

Micki