We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Query - Adapters from UK and hair straighteners

stoke on trent
Level Contributor
231 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Query - Adapters from UK and hair straighteners

Dear All

We are travelling to the Iberostar Punta Cana in November and I was just checking that I am correct that we will need the US travel adapter with two flat pins? Also, will my GHD's work in the DR? Will stress big time if they don't!

Thanks for your help

A

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Query - Adapters from UK and hair straighteners

You can use your GHDs if they are dual voltage.

Look on the handle it should read 110-230. If they are only 240v there won't be enough "power" to fire them up and they will only be warm.

You will also need a 2 pronged flat pin travel adapter - the same as used for the US.

Your straightening efforts will probably not last long as the high humidity will bring on the frizz (especially if you have fine hair).

Good luck!

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
42,045 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Query - Adapters from UK and hair straighteners

Hi skinny,

Yes you are right, you will need the 2 pin flat travel adapters.

Your GHD's will work if you have the dual/worlwide votage ones Mk1V but of course with the humidity in the DR you might have trouble keeping your hair style perfect.

Angie.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Query - Adapters from UK and hair straighteners

yes to the adaptors but I'm afraid they wont get hot enough to do any good, also its so humid that a second after you spend hours doing your hair it will all go to pot. just relax and enjoy with out worrying about the mess your hair will be in. sorry to be the barer of such bad news. bg

stoke on trent
Level Contributor
231 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Query - Adapters from UK and hair straighteners

Thanks all, my hair is naturally curly anway but it is nice to tame it once in a while or make nice curls with my GHD's. Perhaps buy nice hair bobbles to tie it back with, did that when we went to Jamaica.

Thanks again

A

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
5. Re: Query - Adapters from UK and hair straighteners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2011, 08:59