We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tap Water Questions

ATTLEBORO
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Tap Water Questions

I have a couple questions regarding tap water, mainly just out of curiousity. First, when I was there last, I used bottled water to brush my teeth and kept my mouth tightly shut whie in the shower. Recently, I read it was safe to brush your teeth with tap water. Is that true? I think I'll still use bottled, just to be on the safe side, but was curious as to if that was overkill.

Also, last time, I'd wash our bubba kegs with tap water and dishwashing liquid, rinsed, then rinsed again with bottled water. Is that safe enough? I did end up sick the last 2 days, but I have no idea from what.

Lastly, I've read they wash their salad veggies and things in tap water. Then I wondered if that's why I got sick. Does anyone know if they use filtered water, or tap? It may be different from resort to resort, but I figured it can't hurt to throw the question out there.

What exactly makes the tap water unsafe to drink anyway? Again, just curiousity. :)

Thanks for any answers in advance. FIVE sleeps to go til we're at the ME!!!! VERY excited!!!!

Tips

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tap Water Questions

We have always used tap water to brush our teeth and wash out our bubba mugs and haven't had any issues. I figure that it's going to get in there somewhere in the shower unless you plug your ears and nose, wear goggles, tape your mouth shut and cover any bug bites, sores etc you might have. It's basically the high mineral content or something to do with the amount of chlornine in the water that will make you sick, it's not really anything to do with parasites or the likes from what I understand. I actually made a pot of coffee with the tap water our last trip by accident and neither one of us were sick.......as far as washing the fruits and veggies it was my understanding that the resorts used filtered water for all food preparation etc.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,016 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tap Water Questions

IMO it's overkill, I have always used tap water to brush my teeth and have never had anything happen to me, and the resorts used filtered water for washing food items etc.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tap Water Questions

ALWAYS brush your teeth with bottled water

Just be careful in the shower not to drink the water

You are treating your bubba kegs fine, but to be safe with your "virgin" GI system using bottled water may be better.

All salads, fruits etc at the hotels and restaurants (on and off the hotel complex) as well as all ice is done with purified bottled water.

You may have gotten sick from too much alcohol, coconut juice and coconut milk in your drinks, or even food that did not agree with you.

The tap water is generally unsafe here as it many times is contaminated with parasites and bugs. There is no central purification systems for the public water and desalinizatoin has not caught on here with the resorts llike in other places.

Have a great trip

BobK

Edited: 22 July 2010, 13:20
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,016 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tap Water Questions

When the maids clean your room, guess what water they are using to clean your glasses and coffee carafe?

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,042 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tap Water Questions

That may be true, Deb. But, once those glasses and coffee carafe are dry, there's little chance those nasty parasites can survive for very long.

And to Cairo.... as far as water getting into my ears and eyes and bug bites, I'm not an anatomy scholar, but I'm pretty sure there's no access to my GI tract from those openings.

For me, it's easy enough to avoid tap water by brushing with bottled. Sure, some gets in, in the shower. But, might as well limit exposure, where possible.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tap Water Questions

I take Probiotics which help your system adjust to different bacteria. I agree, always use bottle water. While tap may be OK for some it would not be OK for most. I also rinse my keg with bottle water. You are on vacation, why take a chance.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tap Water Questions

Poozieny - I'm just referring to infections in general. If you have cuts etc and the water is as dirty and parasite filled as some people claim, you're going to have some issues regarding ear infections, eye infections etc. GI access would obviously be through the nose and mouth. I just think people make too big a deal out of it. If you want to be cautious, go ahead and use bottled water. Just want to reiterate that I was told by a PC resident (actually a couple of them) that the recommendation for bottled water has nothing to do with parasites or the water being dirty but the high mineral levels. Maybe one of the Mikes can pitch in their comments.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tap Water Questions

Last time I was in DR, even Dominicans told me not to drink the water. To my way of thinking, that includes brushing teeth. Why take a chance.

Yorkton, Canada
Level Contributor
802 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tap Water Questions

i agree Bobk...in are travels to the Dominican & anywheres else weve been other then South America which was approx 14 yrs ago a flubug got on r plane & people were droppin like flies at our resort from flu!! we have always used bottled water for everything!! i stay away from anything coconut as i have enuf stomache issues & luckily have never been sick !!!

Greenfield...
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tap Water Questions

After all that packing and re-packing you have done I wouldn't take the chance of getting sick and not get to wear all those clothes cause your stuck in your room sick! I am not a germ freak but I would not drink the water.