We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sufficient loungers at Punta Cana Princess ?

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Topic
sufficient loungers at Punta Cana Princess ?

Hello -

We tripped on a great price for April 2011 for the Punta Cana Princess. The reviews for the property seem to be generally positive, however, when I read reviews from April 2010. there are a number of complaints that the number of loungers at the pool and beach were insufficient. We were unlucky enough to encounter a lack of loungers once at a hotel over the Christmas break - and for me - it would be a definite deal breaker.

Can anyone who has been to the hotel in the April time frame or any point where it is fully booked provide some reassurance that getting loungers at the beach and pool with shade is not really an issue. In the last 20 years of going to AI's, I have never stooped to the towel game and really don't want to start now.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sufficient loungers at Punta Cana Princess ?

We were there in March and were told that it was running at full capacity. We never had a problem with loungers during our stay. In fact, the bali beds on either side of us remained unused for much of the time we were there (we always got the same one). Even if the bali bed is in the sun there is a cover that you can pull across for shade so you get the best of both worlds. It was kind of funny because we were walking behind a women who had just arrived at the hotel and it was around 2:30pm - all of a sudden she did a complete stop in front of us and she turned around and asked "is it always like this"? I asked what she meant and she said she couldn't believe how not busy the beach area was, she was very pleasantly surprised..... maybe others who were there in April can comment as well but we had no issues at all. If you are interested I have an album on webshots of the PCP - here is the link:

travel.webshots.com/album/577835776iprPxy

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sufficient loungers at Punta Cana Princess ?

I would say that most resorts actually have enough loungers for most of their guests is people would take 1 and only 1 lounger for themselves at any given time. Not one at the beach in the shade, one in the sun, another at the pool in the shade and one more in the sun at the pool. Or not 1 chair for themselves, one for their travel partner, one for their beach stuff, and another for their partners beach stuff. Or my favorite is when 2 people each have one lounger then they take another 4 or 5 to build a little shelter around themselves.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sufficient loungers at Punta Cana Princess ?

We have been in April and the towel game was in full force. Loungers at the pool were in short supply but not quite so bad at the beach. We had to hunt for loungers but usually there were a few available.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: sufficient loungers at Punta Cana Princess ?

Indeed - the chair hoarders are really the source of the problem. Unfortunately the problem seems to breed - the more people reserve multiple chairs - the more folks get nervous and feel they have to reserve as well - it all snowballs and next thing you know you're looking around and at most about 20% of the chairs which are spoken for are actually in use .... sigh ...

I've never been brave enough to remove a towel from a premium chair that goes unused for hours - but I have been very tempted!

Ontario
Level Contributor
268 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sufficient loungers at Punta Cana Princess ?

We haven't been in April but isn't that some folks spring break as well as holidays over in the DR?

We are not "hoggers" of chairs either, as a result, last year, over the Christmas holidays, the first week we found a couple of spots, second week we couldn't even find a seat, lounger, anything by the pool by 10-11:00am and nary a soul around (until about 4pm or not at all, they would come back, pick up their towels and leave). We managed to find a couple of broken loungers on the beach and pulled them up to a broken down palapa for some shade.

Sackie summed it up nicely, that's exactly what happens. We witnessed 2 people who came down with an arm full of their own towels as well as the hotel ones, they booked 4 beach (sun and shade), 2 beach bar (soft seats for their afternoon siesta), 2 beach tables (for lunch), 2 pool (shade) and 2 pool (sun) total 14 spots for 2 people.

Unless we just nip up for lunch and are heading back to our precious seat, we put all our stuff in the room.

I guess it's hit or miss no matter where you go, depending on the clientele.

Heck, I've watched from the balcony having coffee in the morning, people coming down in their PJ's, booking several spots and heading back to bed for several hours.

If all else fails, towel on grass, that's our solution and we didn't let it spoil our vacation one iota, just inconsiderate that's all.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: sufficient loungers at Punta Cana Princess ?

It seems the problem is getting worse everywhere this days - very unfortunate and I'm not sure why hotels don't make an effort to combat it. I have heard some hotels enforce it by removing towels in the morning on reserved spots but I am not sure how successful that is.I would think if a hotel at least looks like they are enforcing a no-reservation rule, it would help.

I try not to let it spoil my vacation, but i will say a number of years ago at the Allegro Punta Cana over the Christmas break where we could not find a spot to sit really put me off. When I say no where to sit, I mean nada, no loungers, no chairs of any sort at either the pool or beach for a couple of days and it really put me off.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sufficient loungers at Punta Cana Princess ?

We were in Punta Cana Princess last week of March. We had to get up at 5:30 in order to be able to reserve loung chairs....it's silly....I know!!!!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sufficient loungers at Punta Cana Princess ?

Wow! Guess we were lucky - now I'm worried as we are returning for 2 weeks in Jan........

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sufficient loungers at Punta Cana Princess ?

We were at a resort once where part way through our stay sercurity started to inforce the no reserving chairs rule and it was crazy. The poor guy was being abused like you would not believe. People were screaming the same old same old - I paid good money for this trip and you can't tell me I am not able to have a lounger when I want one! - or demanding to see management right then and their. Some people were even stating that they had brought their own towels which were thier own property and he had no right to touch them and if he did they would see he lost his job for stealing! Some people were even sitting in the chairs and refusing to leave. Once the guard moved on to the next ones the other ones would leave their towels and go. The guard could just not keep up with it.

Mississauga
Level Contributor
818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sufficient loungers at Punta Cana Princess ?

While at the Bahia "Ambar" in May. The security strictly enforced the towel game around the pool. If you put down your towels and left before 8am they would pick it up and put it at the towel hut. You had to go and get your things. You were allowed to save your seats if you stayed there. Once 8 am arrived, you could safely leave and have breakfast and return.

This didn't apply to the beach, only the pool area.

I was one of those who went down early and sat at the chairs. Had a nice conversation with others or even the security guards. But we didn't hoard chairs.

With all the towel games that go on ... it has come to " If you can't beat them ... join them" ... If you pay the money.. might as well enjoy your vacation.